The Commander of Death

Someone once told me, who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things. He was right. 

I run my fingers over the paper that's tucked away in my pocket. I've been doing this ever since I put it there. The edges are no longer smooth and my fingers have gotten raw from the texture. This is the only thing keeping me going now. My hand leaves my pocket reaching for my two knives instead. There is a mildly loud thud as my first knife sinks itself into the tree bark. I flip my second knife in my hand feeling the cold metal against my palm. I flip it once more before throwing it into the tree. It lands above the first knife lining them both up perfectly. 

I let out a breath staring at my very much improved aim. I give a small smile at my accomplishment, but I'm getting too cocky. I can't afford to be cocky and screw this up. I only have one shot at this and i'm not risking anything. I walk over to pull the knives from the tree. 

"Your skills have defiantly improved."  I jump slightly at the sudden voice then let myself relax as I let out another breath.

Roan. Just who I was hoping to find. I pull one of the knives from the tree flipping it in my hand. I don't want him getting the wrong idea so I put it back in the side of my boot turning to face him. "I see death has a way of finding me." I back up just in time to avoid his blade hitting my throat. "Have you come to finish the job? I've been hoping for a match with the commander of death."   

"Don't flatter yourself."I push away the blade with my hand forcing him to put it down. "I came to ask for your help."  He scoffs at this putting the blade back in its sheath. "and why would I help you?"  

"Because I spared your life and the way I see it...you owe me." He gives a short unamused laugh. "I owe you nothing." He brushes past me walking away. 

"Hey!" I reach back grabbing his arm pulling him back. "I don't care if you think you owe me or not! But you are going to help me." I dig the paper out of my pocket handing it to him. "Tell me where to find him." 

"So you're a bounty hunter now? Is that it." He unfolds the paper that I have folded and unfolded hundreds of times. His face turns from slightly amused to serious as he stares down at the face drawn on the page. I made sure that every detail was perfect. Every mark on his skin, the hateful look in his eye I drew it all. After all you never forget a face.     

"What do you want with him?!" He shoves the paper back at me "Where is he?" I shove the paper back at him. 

"He's dangerous." 

"So am I. Now tell me where can I find him!" He just shakes his head handing the paper back to me. "He's one of Ice Nation's most deadly assassins. Trust me not even a commander of death could kill him." He turns away from me walking back into the woods. 

"Hey! This is my fight all I need is for you to point me in the right direction." I run after him trying to get him to wait.  

"There's a reason why he's named Ares." He doesn't slow his pace "You can follow me all you want Wanheda i'm not going to say where he is."   

"Why does it matter to you?" I say walking faster to keep up with him. He stops walking in response turning to me. "I could ask you the same thing... actually I am asking."   

I look down at the ground because I can already feel the tears coming on. I'm showing weakness by crying and I refuse to look weak, especially in front of him. I take a deep breath composing myself.         

"He killed my husband."

I take a step closer letting him know that i'm not leaving till I get what I want. "Now tell me. Where. Is. Ares."