01

Omera

"I really don't think this is the best idea, Omera." Maci says as she watches me glaring at the ring on my finger, I did hear her but I didn't know how to respond. She takes this as me not paying attention so she taps on my coffee cup to get my attention, I hadn't drank a bit yet. It really makes me wonder why I even brought Maci to this coffee shop, I don't even drink coffee.

"Why not?" I question her as I break my gaze with the ring. She clears her throat as she stares at the ring, she seems uncomfortable with its presence.

"Omera, you've only been seeing him for three months." She reminds me as if I suddenly forgot, I look at the ring with unease but I don't want Maci to know that.

"A lot can happen in a few months." I murmur, trying not to think back to my last relationship when I was 17. "True love has no time limit, plus we're both ready for this. We fit perfectly together." As the words slip out of my mouth I realize I'm just trying to convince myself rather than Maci.

"Then date him, don't marry him." Maci argues, I know she's right but I didn't want to be wrong right now.

I sigh. "Listen, we have been working together for the last year. He's the CEO, and he found me interesting. The new girl that has no friends because she's rude. If he saw the good in me so quick how could I not-" I try explaining myself but Maci cuts me off.

"Did you see the good in him?" She questions.

I say silent for a minute but I realize my silence would prove her point, I'm not about to let that happen. "Yes, of course." I lie.

If I'm being honest, he's a bit annoying to me. He seems to think gifts will win me over, I think I'm sort of proving his point by marrying him. So then, why am I marrying him?

Besides the general cockiness, he's very sweet to me. I remember a week before we started dating, there was a bouquet of roses on my desk. The gesture embarrassed me a bit but I was still flattered. Even though many of the people at work just rolled their eyes and thought the person who set the roses on my desk was probably mentally ill.

Yes, people think I'm rude, but in reality I feel like I'm just straight forward. I don't sugar coat my sentences, and I have no problem saying no. That's not rude, people just can't accept honesty.

"Omera, I feel like you're rushing into things." Maci tries again to convince me that I'm making a mistake and it only angers me.

"Maci, I'm 22 years old and I only got a job because of my mother's connections. I'm way too bitter to ever attract anyone and I'm not going to change. I think Ryan is the only person who will ever find me attractive despite my horrible attitude towards life. He's the one for me, we're getting married." I state, grabbing my coffee cup and angrily sipping the drink. I hate black coffee.

"You never really got closure from-" she states after a moment of silence but I cut her off immediately.

"All he did was cause me pain and disappear. I'm not waiting for him, it's been four years, Maci. He's not coming back." I argue with her but she sighs.

"It doesn't matter if he's coming back or not. It matters whether you still have feelings there." Maci intrudes, but the sentence just makes me uncomfortable. She seems to always find a way to sneak him back into the equation and this habit seems to be amplifying because of my new relationship.

"Maci, give it a rest. I'll talk to you later." I abruptly end the conversation as I get up grabbing my coffee cup.

"Omera, I'm sorry if I-" she tries to apologize but I shake my head.