Chapter 1

“So what happens then, huh?” Sam yelled, frustratingly throwing his hands in the air. “That’s 850 miles apart, Mallory!” He spat as if I was the bad person when he was the one moving furthest away for college.

I shrug and sat on the steps of my backporch as the sun began to set. “I know that, but Sam, this is my-“

“Dream school. Yes I know. I’ve heard it a thousand times.” He blows and runs a hand through his chocolate brown hair.

My eyes linger up to his tall frame just a few feet from me as he paces the yard. I let out a sigh before walking over and standing in front of him. He towers over me as I put a hand on his cheek. His eyes meet mine and I almost give in in that very moment as I see the tears he's desperately trying to hold back. But I can't.

"I love you. More than anyone could ever dream of loving someone. But I have to do this. I have to go to Vanderbilt. For me. Just like you have to go to FGCU for you." I sigh quietly and tear my eyes from his, looking down at our feet. "We can work. I know it. We're strong enough. Right?"

---

Wrong. It was 6 months later on Thanksgiving break that we “mutually” ended things, but decided to stay friends. We were best friends for 14 years before we started dating. 4 years later and here we are. We were certain we could go back to being best friends again.

---

Wrong again. It's the first week of summer break. I had just finished my sophomore year of college and am now on my way home for the summer. It'll be the first time I've been home for more than 2 days since that Thanksgiving break.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as I pulled my jeep in my parents' driveway that was already filled with cars. My mom's probably going to kill me since I'm late for the annual Taylor family beginning-of-summer barbecue, but I still take my time as I step out, straightening my white shorts and flowy coral tank top. It was a long 7 hour drive from Nashville and you could definitely tell from my appearance.

I checked my makeup and hair one last time in the side view mirror before going through the gate to the backyard.

All of a sudden I felt big arms engulf me and throw me up in the air. It's then that I realize it's my brother as he lays me on his shoulder. "There she is! Mally bean is home y'all!"

I laugh and wiggle out of his arms as he lets me down in front of my mom and dad at the grill. "About time!" My mom says with a wide smile as she pulls me into a hug. "Aww I missed my Mally bean!"

It's another 10 minutes before I finally get to sit down and a familiar face sits next to me with a plastic cup filled with Mom’s famous sweet tea. "Hey stranger."

I look up and practically jump out of my seat into his arms. "Calvin! I can't believe you're here! I didn't think you would be home yet."

He chuckles lightly as we pull away from the hug. "Yeah, we got back this morning actually." He gives me an odd look as if he said something he shouldn’t have before walking away quickly.

I'm about to reply when two hands cover my eyes with the familiar smell of vanilla perfume. "Guess whooooo!” A girl giggles in my ear.

I know exactly who it is and I immediately push the next thought out of my mind as I turn to pull her into a hug. "Ali!" I squeal in reply as we hug tightly. When I pull away, she smiles wide at me. “You look even more gorgeous than the last time I saw you! Stop growing up on me.”

It’s then that I notice there’s a slight gap in between our hug. I step back a bit to see a small baby bump. “Oh my god! You’re pregnant?! How, when, what? Why didn’t you tell me?”

She giggles and puts a hand on her stomach as her husband, Brian, steps up behind her. “I’m pretty sure you know how.” She smirks before continuing. “I’m almost 7 months now. And I wanted to see your reaction in person.”

“That’s so great! I’m so happy for you guys.” I give a big grin to them both before nodding a hello to Brian. “I-“ I start to speak when I happen to glance up and see him talking to my Mom, showing off his pearly whites as he always has proudly. She hugs him before pointing over to me. I quickly look away to see Ali and Brian still staring at me, Ali with a knowing look. She leans in and whispers in my ear. “Please talk to him at least.”

I pull away from her and she and Brian start to walk toward a table to sit down. I start to follow until I hear his deep voice and I immediately stop in my tracks. “Hey Mal.”

With a quick turn on my heel, I’m face to, well, chest to him. “Hey Sam. I, uh, didn’t know you’d be here.”

He nods as his hands go into his pockets, something he always did when he was nervous. I held back a small grin as I finally looked up at his face. “Yeah, I didn’t know you would either.”

“I actually just got home like 20 minutes ago.” I say, suddenly getting nervous myself. I glance over at the table that held all the drinks. “You want some sweet tea?” I ask quickly.

He smiles at me and I almost hate myself for getting weak in the knees. “Is that even a question?”

I feel myself relax a little more as I let out a slight laugh before heading over to the table and grabbing a cup and pouring from a jug. “Right, sorry.” I hand him a cup before pouring my own.

He’s nonchalantly stealing glances to me as he takes a big sip from his cup. “You look great.”

I smile a bit wider now as I take a drink of my own cup. “Thanks, so do you.”

We don’t say anything for a moment, we just stare at each other with weird grins. Mine was weird, his was the goofy one I’d seen many times before. He opens his mouth to say something when my dad comes up and grips a hand on his shoulder. “Sammy boy! I’m so glad you got to come! Tell me, how’s college ball going?”

Dad leads Sam away but not before Sam glances back to me with a look that says “I’ll be back.” I nod to let him know I understand and he turns back to my Dad and they begin to talk as they walk away.