If You Ever Come Back 4

Chapter 4

“David…” I whispered to no one in particular as I saw him clenched his teeth from the massive pain he must’ve been feeling from the shot.

There was silence for a moment and neither of us spoke to each other for the next several minutes. To be honest, I’ve never thought silence could be so loud. It was killing me, and I was dying to ask him so many things, but whenever I gathered up my courage to ask, my bravery diminishes whenever I see him so gloomy and bloody as he was leaning against me and the chair. I didn’t know which was more heartbreaking, the fact that he left me last year without a word and suddenly shows up and gets beaten in front of me, or the fact that he’s hurt and broken because he couldn’t kill me. I mean, it was very sweet to know that he’d protect me from the man who claimed to be his father, but keeping secrets from me? That, I just couldn’t pass so easily.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw David being hauled up by brawny men.

“What are you going to do to him?” I exclaimed at both of them, my eyes never once leaving David’s body as he struggled to break loose from their grip.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart, we’re just preparing him for the worst.” The guy with an eye patch and a hideous bald head snickered at me.

Both men continued laughing as they punched David on his stomach and kneed his crotch, letting David slide down to ground, hugging his knees from the pain. They stomped him repeatedly afterwards, causing David to shout from the impacts of every hit.

“Stop it!” I exclaimed at them. “Please, just stop hurting him!”

“And what cha’ gonna do ‘bout it, Missy?” the ugly dude wearing nothing but ripped pants mocked me.

I gritted under my teeth from that comment and winced at the sudden shriek of David’s voice when they kicked him one more time in the head. Blood evidently trickled down his face and I felt guilty for not being able to help him at any cause. The two men who beat him up a few minutes ago stopped hurting him. I thought they were going to help him up, but instead, they tied both of his hands up to the ceiling and his feet to the ground with a tight rope. The scene was horrible with David hanging in the air while blood began oozing down his body, staining the white polo he was wearing today.

The silence stayed a few minutes after the two heartless men had left, until David broke it with his faint voice that echoed throughout the place.

“For a damsel in distress, you still look beautiful.” He complimented me as he forced a small smile.

Tears seeped out my eyes before I exclaimed, “Stop pretending like you’re not hurting! And stop saying such nonsense, David! We both know that I don’t look anywhere as beautiful as those girls in our school…”

I bent down my head to prevent him from seeing my face, but somehow his voice managed to lift it up to face him even though he’s all tied up.

“To me you are, Holly.” He said faintly, barely a whisper.

“How am I supposed to believe you, David? You lied to me. What’s worse, you kept secrets from me, when you promised the day I was yours, you wouldn’t.” I said stating the facts out to him, even though it hurts for me deep down to say it.

“I’m sorry… I promise---“ he managed to say before I interrupted him.

“There you go again! You’re making promises you can’t keep!” I exclaimed at him, which left him stunned at my sudden reaction.

I cursed myself inside for saying those words involuntarily and tried to maintain my composure from crying anymore. David’s eyes became darker, as if I just cut into him at some point. Knowing him, he’s probably hurt from what I just bitterly said, even though I didn’t mean to tell him that.