If You Ever Come Back 2

Chapter 2

That night, my mom caught me sneaking into my room way passed my bed time. She scolded me, of course, considering I went home late on a school night. My dad, well, you could guess what his reaction was. Yep, it was totally different from my mom’s sudden outburst that happened to cause a huge commotion outside our house. Turned out, my dad was just cool with it, but he covered it up by telling me that this wasn’t supposed to happen again, which I doubt would, ever.

My parents had me when they were in high school, and right now, I’m sixteen, the same age they had me. I figured my mom was worried that I’d repeat her mistake when she was my age, but my father, he couldn’t care less about what would happen to me. He’s just cool with everything I was doing, like a reckless teenager he once was.

It’s been a week after I last saw of David, and to be honest, I wasn’t sure how I could handle another entire year without him. I just sort of wish he’d tell me to come with him this time. Don’t get me wrong, but my parents knew David. He was our neighbor’s son, not until he went missing last year and wasn’t heard of till I saw him again. My parents, knowing of this incident, were worried about me.

David was and still is the apple of my eye. He’s the only friend I ever had in my school. He’s all of my firsts except for one, which I have been keeping away from him until we get married in future, but I was secretly hoping he’d still be the one taking that away from me. When I learned from his parents that he was missing the day after my birthday, everything in my life crashed down.

I couldn’t eat, sleep, talk, walk, or even breathe properly during the first three months. Actually, I just recovered this month from the shock that he was gone from my life. When I saw him that night, I thought everything would be ok now, but when he told me he was leaving me again, I felt like everything just turned into a nightmare I never wanted, like a horror movie gone wrong.

“Holly, come on, just take another bite.” I heard my mom trying to communicate with me.

I saw her hand with a spoonful of my favorite mashed potatoes hovering between the air and my mouth. You might have been wondering what has happened to me, and why my mother was practically begging for me to eat, right? Well, you see, the moment I came home that night, my entire being shut down. My heart malfunctioned spiritually while my brain rebooted itself and erased all the memories I have inside the most painful moments in my life, David’s included.

Right now, I was just a robot on the outside, but I was deteriorating fast in the inside. I couldn’t cry because all of my tears seemed to have left with him, and my emotions, they’re as gone as they were thrown back to hell.

I forced myself to open my mouth and chew the substance slowly before I swallowed it in less than a few seconds. I saw, from the corner of my eyes, how my mother gasped at how I ate it. It was as if she was afraid of me right now. I knew this because she didn’t ask me to take another bite; instead she shakily brought the tray of food with her outside and left me alone in my room again.

I sighed heavily as I brought my knees close to my chest and hugged them dearly, pretending that it was David. Although I was emotionless, I felt a quick pang of depression hitting me on my chest repeatedly. I grabbed a fist full of my shirt and tried to yank it apart from my body, but the feeling wouldn’t come off, and I let out a silent growl. I desperately wanted to stop feeling that way, but nothing seemed to lighten up the pain that I was dealing with, and there I was, left alone with no one that can match what David could do to make me feel alright again.

From my sudden rage, I broke my lampshade lying upon my dresser and threw my alarm clock across the other side of the room. Still not contented with this, I threw my pillows above the ground and threw my hair brush on the large mirror peripheral to my vision, causing it to crack and fall apart, like what happened to me, and from there, I stood still. For some odd reason, I saw myself blowing with the wind, like the glass shards gently moving on my carpeted floor.