Chapter 14: David's Disney Magic

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Roger said nervously. 

David lifted his head up slightly as he fixed the collar to his shirt. "It'll work, this was your plan, and your plans always work out well." 

"Except the last one." Roger said. 

David made a face. "Let's agree never to speak of that ever again." 

"Agreed." Roger said. 

"Do you think she'll say yes?" Roger said after a moment of silence. 

"We've already decided that she loves you, why would she say no?" David said 

Roger took a deep breath. "You're right." 

David gave Roger the hat for Philip. "Now let's operate mission engagement." 

"Really? You couldn't come up with a better name?" Roger said. 

"You try!" David said defensively. 

Roger just chuckled as they walked out the door. 

***********************************************************************************************

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen! Princes and princesses! Dukes and ladies! King and queens!" Mr. Pershiro said. He was beaming as he spoke, looking spiffy up in a tux.  "I'd like to welcome you all to Disney World's first ever, royal ball!" 

Applause filled the air.

"I would like to thank all of our princes and princesses for coming, I understand the journey must have been very far." Mr. Pershiro said. "I'd like to thank the Disney Orchestra and all who planned and decorated it. This will truly make dreams come true." Mr. Pershio said.

More applause filled the air.

Mr. Pershiro raised his hands as if to calm the crowd.

"First I would like to recognize our make-a-wish kids that are here with us. We have a total of five families with us tonight. These kids are some of the strongest people I know as they battle this deadly disease. Their family is equally as strong as they support and care for their loved one. We all know that is not easy." Mr. Pershiro said.

David felt a tug in his stomach. He did know what that felt like.

"First, let us introduce the Anderson family." Applause filled the air as a young couple and a three year old emerged.

David kind of zoned out, ignoring the descriptions of the sick child's disease and who they were. It wasn't that David didn't care, his mind was just elsewhere.

Will she be here?

"The Grey family."

She was here.

Her head was lifted up slightly, she seemed regal as a queen, her little brother beside her waving to crowd ecstatically with his hat.

"Here we have Robert Grey and his older sister Cindy Grey..." David tuned out Mr. Pershiro, she was here.

She was actually here.

David looked around the room and caught eye contact with a nervous Roger. David pointed at Cindy subtle as possible and mouthed: That's her.

Roger's eyes widened. He looked at Cindy, then at David, then at Cindy, then back at David. Roger winked at David.

David rolled his eyes.

He brought his attention back to Cindy.

She was looking around, her eyes seeming slightly sad. Despite the slight sadness she seemed to be the picture of beauty and grace. She gently put her hand on her brother and guided him down the stairs.