Chapter 9: Cindy's Struggle

Cindy was busy. One would think that since she was on vacation she would have time to relax. She thought that too!

Cindy did not have time to relax.  Not only was she going all over Disney World, but also she got an awful sunburn.

"It hurts." Cindy whined into her pillow as her mom rubbed the cold aloe into her back.

"It is your own fault that you did not put on sunscreen." Her mother pointed out.

"I did put it on." Cindy said, turning her head so she could be heard.

"Then why are you burnt?" Her mom challenged, the back of her hands on her hips.

"I let Bobby do it." Cindy explained.

Her mother chuckled at Cindy. Cindy knew her mother it was because of stupidity.

"Well, it doesn't look like that major of a burn. It'll be gone by tomorrow." Her mother assured Cindy.

Cindy let out a moan of protest into the bed.

Cindy arose and slipped back on her pajama shirt. A big baggy shirt that she won at her dad's Christmas party two years ago.

The two of them emerged from the bedroom.

"You okay Cindy?" Bobby asked.

Cindy have her baby brother a smile. "Just a sun burn." She assured him.

"I should've put on the 45 SPF suntan lotion." Bobby muttered.

"What SPF did you put on your sister?" Her dad asked.

"15."

Cindy slapped her forehead.

Her father laughed loudly, ringing through the air.

"Some help you are." Cindy grumbled as she came over and tapped her brother's cheek.

"Hey! I got you here, didn't I?" Bobby argued.

Cindy laid on the couch on her stomach.

"Let's watch a movie!" Bobby cheered.

"We need dinner." Cindy's mom said.

"Room service!" Bobby cheered.

Cindy picked up her head and smiled at her brother. "We can get room service anywhere in the world and you want it here?"

Her brother gave her a look that reminded of the look her teacher gave her when she said something stupid. "Well, duh! It will have the Disney magic touch to it!"

"Oh my Lord." Cindy chuckled.

************************************

At Bobby's request they did order room service. Unfortunately, they could only order chicken and meat loaf. They each ordered some chicken and meat loaf, with some cinnamon apples and corn.

"What's this?" Her mother muttered. A flyer lay on the tray. Her mother opened the flyer up and read it. "Join us for Disney World's first royal ball!" Her mother said.

Bobby gasped in excitement. "We have to go!"

"It's this coming Saturday. At seven till one in the morning." Her mother continued reading, ignoring Bobby's outburst.

"Sounds like fun." Cindy said nonchalantly.

"Sounds dangerous. So many people can be kidnapped there." Cindy's father said.

"Dad, anyone can be kidnapped by walking from one ride to the next." Cindy pointed out.

"Which is why we have the buddy system." Her mother said.

Cindy was unsure whether or not that was support her argument or her dad's.

Cindy secretly wanted to go. The idea of being dressed up and dancing around the room made her heart feel like it was flying.

Then again any, idea of dancing made her heart fly. Something was different about this. Here she would not be required to do really well. Here, she could mess up and no one would. As long as she did not step on any one's toes (quite literally) she would be fine!

"We have to go!" Bobby exclaimed once more.

"And why is that?" Cindy's father said with his eyebrow raised.

Bobby let out an exasperated sigh. "So Cindy can meet her prince!"

Her mother let out a slight grin. "Well, we will see what comes around." She said as she took another bite of her meatloaf.

"She still needs a prince, and Disney World is FILLED with royalty!" Bobby said, trying to make his point valid.

"Hush now, Bobby." Cindy said as she covered his mouth to silence her brother. "We will plot how to go later." Cindy said with a wink.

"Why did you say that in front of them?" Bobby exclaimed in exasperation.

Cindy just gave him another wink.

*******************************************************************************************************************

THUMP!

Cindy sat up groggily. She glanced at her alarm clock and discovered to her horror it read 2:51 in the morning.

More thumping could be heard, only more rapid and consistent.

Cindy looked at her brother's bed, adjacent from her own bed to only see it empty. What is he doing? Cindy thought groggily.

"What the heck?" Cindy muttered. Cindy grabbed a shirt to put on over her bra (yes her sunburn was THAT bad) and went out to investigate.

Quietly, she closed the door behind her with a soft click. She stood in front of her bedroom door.

The noise seemed to be coming from the kitchen.

Should I get dad? Cindy thought.

Her feet seemed to have a mind of their own, because the next thing she knew she was racing to the kitchen.

She pushed the light switch up to see her brother's new stuffed Peter Pan that the wish fairy had given Bobby.

"Bobby?" She hissed.

She quickly spotted him. His twitching hand on the other side of the table was her give away.

Cindy rushed forward, sliding on her knees.

"Bobby? Bobby?" Cindy said.

Bobby shook as if his whole body was shivering; his eyes were open but rolled into the back of his head; the thumping seemed to be increasing the beat.

Cindy covered her mouth in horror as she watched her little baby brother have a seizure before her very eyes.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Cindy screamed like she was 5 year old who had just awoken from a terrible nightmare.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Cindy screamed, feeling like a five year old. She didn't know what to do. No one had taught her what to do when this kind of thing was to happen!

God, God, please help us. Cindy prayed in her head as tears streamed down her face. God don't take my baby brother. Not here. Not here.

Bobby believed that Disney World had magic, maybe the magic he believed in would save him.

Cindy could hear her parents rushing into the kitchen.

Her mother let out a shrill scream.

"Cindy! Call the nurse!" Her father barked at her as he raced to Bobby's side.

Begrudgingly, Cindy left her brother and ran to the phone provided for the hotel room.

At Give Kids the World, so many wish kids came there that they had nurses on staff waiting to help. That also meant a nurse was provided for their stay.

Cindy dialed the nurse's number five times before getting through.

"Yes?" A groggy voice said.

"Help us." Cindy sobbed into the phone.

"What is it?" The nurse said, sounding more alert.

"My brother is having a seizure."