Chapter 2: David's Beginning

Eighteen year old David Koppelberger  straightened his tie once more, taking a deep breath.

You have got this. David told himself, examining himself in the mirror. You are handsome, you are charming, you are prince worthy martial. David tried to tell himself as he slicked his hair back.

David didn't believe a word he was telling hinself. His light blonde hair was wild looking as a cavemen's, his face was pale, his hazel eyes looked tired and scared.

David sighed as he messed with his hair once more. Then he strolled out of the bathroom. He stood in the waiting room, hands fidgeting.

"Mr. Koppelberger?" David turned to the receptionist.

"That's me." David managed to get out, but his words stumbling over each other.

Smooth man, real smooth. David thought, reprimanding his style of speaking.

The receptionist smiled warmly at him. "Right this." She said as she rose to her feet. She led him to an office off down a hallway to the left. The receptionist knocked.

"Who is it?"A gruff voice answered.

"Sir, Mr. Koppelberger is here to see you." The receptionist said.

"Koppelberger? Send him right in!" The gruff voice said.

The receptionist opened the door and David walked in.

He was greeted by an old man (probably in his 60s-70s), he was very tall, a big scraggly beard, his eyes were concealed by big glasses that took up half of his face.

David gulped. "Hello, Mr. Pershiro, I'm David." David said as he advanced and stuck out his hand.

Mr. Pershiro rose an eyebrow at David and took his hand and gave it firm shake.

"Very nice to meet you my boy." Mr. Pershiro said with a little head bow. He began to mutter something to himself.

David try to catch what he was saying, in case he was speaking to David, but was unable to do so.

"So, you want to work here. You want to work at Disney World?" David nodded. David in all honesty was half expecting Mr. Pershiro to start breaking out in song.

"Yes sir." David confirmed with a nod of his head.

"Why is that?" Mr. Pershiro pressed.

David took a sigh. "My mom is dying from alzhimers at the young of forty-five. It's only her and I, I'd like to be able to earn money to pay for her medical expenses and her..." David trailed off. His next word was suppose to be "funeral" but whenever it came off of his tongue it tasted bitter.

"Go on." Mr. Pershiro said gently.

"Which means I'd be on my own. I want to be able to take care of the both of us and save up to go to college."  David explained.

"As what?"

David smiled. "A doctor, sir. Preferably a pediatrician at a hospital. So PICU."

Mr. Pershiro smiled. "So you like children?"

David smiled and nodded. "Adore them sir! I want many as the Lord will allow plus some!" Mr. Pershiro chuckled at David's eagerness (causing David's cheeks to turn bright red).

"If you did get a job here, what would be your preference?" Mr. Pershiro asked.

David adjusted in his seat slightly. So far so good. David thought to himself.

"As one of the characters that go around. I'd love to be able to make the kids happy." David leaned forward slightly. "Most make-a-wish kids come to something Disney for their wish. If I could make their wish come true, for them to meet someone, I'd do it in a heartbeat."

Mr. Pershiro smiled. "Very, very good."

David looked down sheepishly.

"In ways of payment," Mr. Pershiro began, "we will start you with $20 a hour."

David perked up. Was he hearing this right?

"If you ever need more payment for a limited time for hospital bills or the funeral, you let me know." Mr. Pershiro said as he wrote something down.

David could feel his heart soaring. A smile grew wide on his face.

"You shall start in two weeks. I'll call you for more details." The two men rose. Mr. Pershiro gave David a warm smile. "Congratulations young man, we are lucky to have you."

"Thank you. Thank you!" David said as his heart raced. Oh he couldn't wait to tell his mother! "And sir, I am the lucky one." David said.

Mr. Pershiro stuck out his hand. "Welcome to Disney World my friend." He said.

David took it and shook it, with the biggest, stupidest, goofy smile on his face.

David walk calmly out of the office, once the door closed David jumped in the air. He pulled his arm down in "Yes!" motion.

"What are you doing here?" A woman's shrill voice said. David turned around and saw a short woman with a long nose and beady brown eyes.

"I-I had a job interview, ma'am." David stuttered.

The bird like woman rose her eyebrows. "So what are you doing in the hallway?" She asked, cocking her head to the side exactly like a bird.

"Going home ma'am." David said.

"Then explain the dancing." She shot back.

"I was celebrating." David explained uncomfortably. "I got the job."

The woman with the bird like features nodded so hard the little bun she had on her head bounced. "Good work." With that the bird lady left.

David walked away briskly and got into his car. He put the key in the ignition and turned the engine over.

With the car still in park he picked up his phone and dialed a number.

"Hello?" A woman said. David smiled.

"Hey mama. I got the job!"