Chapter 19

October, 2006, NYU

Chanty was on her way to the bar just outside the campus.

Angelica had been calling her nonstop about coming and if it was possible she could bring Philip along. Her brother would rather die than stay inside a bar with Angelica in it.

Zach and Liam would be there along with their dates.

Who could believe it? Liam would be bringing along a date? She had never seen him with anyone that could be considered serious. Zach, yes, but Liam was different.

The last time she checked, Shirley was already dating someone else.

Who could it be?

She shook her head.

Liam was not even a close friend to bother with.

For now, she had to force herself to show up without Cameron. Just to keep Angelica quiet.

2013

“Are you going to tell me where we are going?” Chanty asked him later that night.

He stole a glance where she was sitting at the passenger side. “We’re going to watch the world wake up.”

She frowned. “What do you mean?”

“You’ll see. By the way, I heard Bethany Wiles had another encounter with you, Cass and Ange.”

“How did you know about that?”

“Zach,” he shrugged. “He mentioned it in passing.”

“And how do you know Beth?”

“I’ve worked with her in some projects. And I heard from Ange that she used to chase Philip around,” he said with a chuckle. “What’s with your brother? He had a lot of women chasing him around.”

“I don’t have the slightest idea,” she answered with a sigh. “We gave her shit.”

“What?”

“Beth. We gave her shit.”

Liam noted anger in her words. “What did she do?”

“Nothing. She thinks I want to get back together with Cameron. You know they are together, right?”

“And do you?” he asked before he even thought about it.

“Do what?”

“Want to get back together?”

Chanty snapped her head at his direction. “Not a cell in my body wants to be near that man, Liam.”

“Good. Because I am not letting you.”

*****

Chanty wondered if this was the right moment for her to tell Liam the truth.

But he was looking so damned content and happy.

I should tell him before something worse happens.

But what would be the worse? Him falling for her completely or her falling for him?

Because now, at this moment, as she watched him drive them to somewhere to watch the world wake up, she could feel it. She felt comfortable in his car. She felt good talking to him about anything and anyone.