Chapter 7

March 2005, NYU

“I really hate that man,” Liam uttered after he took a sip of his coffee. His eyes were pointing directly ahead, right behind Zach’s shoulder.

His friend looked behind him and snorted. “What? Cameron? Then make Chanty ditch him.”

“I’m planning to.”

“You always say that. You like her and you are not doing anything. You should do something before she will officially be out of your reach.”

Liam took a deep breath. Chanty’s gaze hovered over to them and she immediately averted her eyes when their gaze met. How could he make a move if she didn’t even want to see him?

2013

“Well?”

Chanty just stared at Liam. She didn’t know how to answer that one. It was late to back down now. Philip would be even angrier if he found out about the lie. And she certainly wouldn’t want to risk having Cameron know the truth.

Would she really lie to her son about all this to protect him?

Yes, she would.

“I’ll talk to Willie. I don’t want to overwhelm him. We’ll take it slow.”

Liam stared at her for a long time and finally gave a nod. “I understand. We’ll take it slow. I don’t want my son to be afraid of me. I want him to know me first.”

She closed her eyes. Oh God, this was difficult. Lying to Liam was bad as it was and telling her son a lie was just unimaginable.

“We don’t have to tell him everything if you’re not yet ready, but I want to meet my son, Chanty.”

That was good enough for her. She didn’t have to tell Willie anything. The hell with Philip if she didn’t. Surely he would understand that the child would need time to know his real father. “Thank you,” she whispered, looking at Liam.

“I know this is hard for you as well, Chanty. But sooner or later, Willie has to know.”

She was grateful he didn’t press the matter of telling Willie everything. She may not know the man well in a more personal level, but she was grateful that he was ready to do all these things for her. Things would have been much easier if Liam was the real father.

“Have you thought about what you should say to Willie?” Philip asked them before they even got the chance to sit down.

“Yes.” It was Liam who answered. Chanty was still at a loss, rehearsing the words she had to say to her son. She only hoped it would work.

“And?” Philip asked them, his eyes peering down particularly at her.

“Babe, come on, you cannot seriously ask them to spit every word out,” Cassandra uttered, rolling her eyes.

Angelica nodded. “Yes, I completely agree.”

Chanty threw her friends a grateful look.

 “It has to come simultaneously from both of them. You are not Willie,” Cassandra added.

“So you better be contented that they agreed to your plan,” Angelica finished.

It was a wonder how the two women could finish each other’s sentences now when a few years ago, they were ready to pounce on each other. Philip sighed after he saw his wife’s look. Cassandra was looking at him with her eyebrow arched high, daring him to contradict. “Fine,” Chanty heard him puff out and she was finally able to breathe. She was not very good at lying to her brother.