Chapter 9

The week after the phone call passed in a blur. We each received a packet in the mail that explained when we would have to go to compete (2 weeks), where we would be living while on the show (In LA, California in dorms near the area where we would perform) and approximately how long we'd be away from home during the show if we make it to the top three bands (2-3 months).

Along with the explanation came a packet our mom had to fill out and sign to say that we were allowed to participate in the TV show and that if any harm were to come to Jake or I that they will not be held responsible. One plane ticket was also included for each of us. We would go to the nearest airport and take a flight over to the LAX where someone from the show would be waiting for us.

To say that our mom was excited for us was an understatement. The moment we told her, her eyes had filled with tears and she hugged us tightly while whispering ,"I'm so proud of you two. You're going to be amazing, I just know it. "

Word of our acceptance had spread around the school, causing Tiffany to throw a fit about how she "didn't want to spend time with a bunch of losers " while she "fulfilled her destiny as a singer." Needless to say Andrea refused to sit with her and the rest of the cheerleaders, sitting with Jake, Sal, Diana and I during lunch instead.

Before we knew it, the two weeks we had were up and it was three hours before we would have to take our flight. Andrea and Logan had already said their goodbyes to their families and were waiting for us at our mailbox. Andrea decided to drive us over to the airport and had already picked up Logan.

"Well mom, I guess this is goodbye for now," I said, tears threatening to spill out my eyes.

She looked at me and Jake, pride shining in her eyes.  She hugged us both tightly and whispered into our ears, "You'll do amazing, I'm so proud of you two."

The rest of our siblings had gathered around the door, surrounding us as we started walking out. Some of them like Diana and Sal gave us hugs and "good luck's" with a few "I'll miss you's".  Jamie and Jared wished us good luck and reminded us to do amazing out there, while flashing us identical grins. Myla and Drew hugged us tightly before stepping away, a deck of cards spilling out of their hands. Finally Lucy came up to us from behind everyone and hugged me tightly, her blonde hair spilling in front of her face. She came up to Jake who picked her up, tears shining in her stormy eyes.

"Do really you h-have to go ?" she hiccuped. 

"Yea, c'mon, don't cry. I'll come back as soon as the show 's over okay?" Jake said, concern for our littlest sister washing over his face. I saw the guilt in his eyes, the guilt and pain he had for leaving Lucy behind. She was the closest of everyone to him.

"But I-I I don't want you to LEAVE!!, " she cried, tears falling from her lashes to his shoulders. "You're the closet thing I have to a daddy !! "

I watched as Jake's I-Don't-Care Act faded. Everyone was stunned to silence as Jake started to cry. Jake was one of those people who, as emotional as they can be never cries,  especially not in front of anyone. But here he was, sobbing like a baby.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry Lucy. I'm coming back though don't worry. And after the show is over and we win, I'll be with you whenever you want okay ? " he said between sobs.

Lucy finally started wiping her tears from her face, calming down, even if it was just for a little bit. She grabbed her favorite stuffed toy, the one she took with her everywhere, the one she held onto when she couldn't fall asleep.

The stuffed animal was a cat. Nothing really special about it other than the fact that Jake was the one who had come up with the the idea to buy her a toy. He had, after all been the one to pay for it, going a few days without dinner in order to afford it. It was gray with black stripes and gray eyes, almost identical to Lucy's.

Lucy held it up to Jake, giving it to him.  " Hold onto it for me, Kitty. It'll bring you good luck for your competition," she said quietly,  using the nickname she'd given him after watching Monsters Inc. in school.

"Of course, Boo. Don't worry I'll take real good care of it," he said, hugging her tightly once more before standing up, grabbing our small bags as he did.

We looked back at our family, tears shining in some of their eyes, pride in others, some had both. But we both made a silent promise to ourselves and to them, we Would win that competition and give our family a better life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:
So, where do I begin.... I'm sorry that I haven't been posting like, at all for... months? But I have a really good excuse... well not really. I've been having some family stuff, end of the year finals and summer reading to do (seriously who assigns four books, a movie and chapter summaries over the summer?), I've also had to "start helping" with my family's business of making signs and such. Then I have chores , church, youth group and apparently I have to "socialize with friends and family" without using my phone . -_- BUT I'M BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!

This chapter is more focusing on well, Jake and Lucy (obviously) and the fact that Jake and Liz are willing to do anything to help the people they love. It's a bit shorter than usual but, I'll be sure to write longer and more often from now on.

Question of the Day:
Um. ... this is hard.... OH!
When is the last time you've thought of/had a crush?

Me? Like... three hours ago. XD I have to see him like three times a week cause of church. Depressing part? He doesn't like me. XD

Vote, comment, and follow!

-Britney