Chapter Thirteen. Uncle Steve's History Lesson

Chapter Thirteen 

Uncle Steve's History Lesson

For a couple of days Rev and P.C. attempted in vain to cajole Henry back in to the fold. It was only when Uncle Steve assured him there would be no more camping treks, and definitely no water crossings, that he rejoined the group. 

One evening, a week after their crossing of the sands, Uncle Steve invited the boys to a hot pot supper in the woodshed. After demolishing the steaming H.P. covered dish kindly provided by Henry's grandmother, they took up their customary positions around the makeshift table and waited for Uncle Steve to begin. Knowing they were anxious, he deliberately took his time before blowing his first smoke ring, a signal that he was ready.  

"I've something to show you."  

He reached in to his canvas lunch bag and pulled out a leather-bound book. He handed it to Rev.

"Would you do me a favour, Rev? Turn to page four, and read the sentence at the top." 

Rev gingerly opened the old book. The pages, once white, were darkened, spotted and fragile. He turned to page four.  

"Egfrid, the King of Northumbria, gave the land called Furness, and all the Britons in it, to St.Cuthbert." 

"That's it. Thank you very much, Rev." 

"So?" said Henry, completely at a loss. 

"Don't you see? King Egfrid, a Saxon king, reigned at the end of the seventh century. By that time the Romans were long gone, and it seems as if some Britons had survived the Saxon invasion." 

"The Saxons must have come here for the King of Northumbria to be able to give the land?" 

"I'm sure they did, P.C. Northumbria was the Saxon part of Northern England, with its capital at York. When they talked of 'giving' the land, I think Egfrid was giving Cuthbert permission to send his missionaries into our area." 

"The Druids wouldn't like that would they?" 

"I suppose not, Henry. I'm sure there must have been a lot of problems as the monks built their places of worship and went about their task of converting the heathens. They were very clever about it though, making sure that all the popular Celtic festivals and traditions were kept." 

"What do you mean?" asked P.C. 

"What happens every year at Michaelmas?" 

"The big fair in Ulverston." 

"That's right. But did you know that the fair had been held at that time since long before the time of St.Cuthbert. It was a feast day in the old religion and the monks were wise to let it continue.

At first the missionaries were successful but I believe their success was short lived. For many years the inhabitants of Furness, followers of the old religion, had enjoyed peace and prosperity. Now there was a threat from the sea and the new Church failed to protect them." 

"What was the threat? Flooding?" 

"Geeze, Henry, don't you remember anything from school," said Rev. "Who invaded England after the Saxons? They came in boats with striped sails and looked as if they had horns sticking out of their heads." 

"I know. I know. The Vikings! I'm not a complete dunderhead." 

"Not only did the Vikings come, they plundered. Villages were destroyed, everything of value carried off, including many poor survivors who were sold in to slavery. Wherever they went the appearance of the dragon ships spread terror and panic. Even if they were driven off, the people knew they would return."