Chapter Four. Mapping the Circle.

Chapter Four 

Mapping the Circle

It was a great relief to escape the cloying confines of the cave and revel in the noonday sun. Disregarding Henry's warning, Rev and Pete chose separate stones and used them as tables. Henry refused to do this, and sat well away from the circle with his onion clearly visible. He was the only one still heeding Uncle Steve's advice. 

With lunch devoured, and the debris cleared away at Henry's insistence, Rev took out pad, paper, pencil and compass. The mapping began. Each standing stone was actually made of three stones. Two were vertical with about one metre of rock showing above ground. The boys could hug a rock and almost have their fingers touch on the far side. The two vertical rocks supported a horizontal slab that Rev called a lentil. Henry had a vague recollection of sipping lentil soup, but said nothing. 

There were six such standing stones, forming an approximately circular pattern, and one shiny white triangular rock embedded in the turf on the outside of the ring. Rev took up position on a large flat rectangular stone situated slightly off centre within the circle, and asked Henry to pace off various distances between the stones. He recorded all the garnered information in the form of a map. Meanwhile P.C. was scouring the area looking for who knows what. 

"This isn't a circle. It's like a left-handed question mark," said Henry, peering at the sketch over Rev's shoulder. "But I'm sure they didn't have question marks in those days." 

"Which days?" 

"The olden days." 

"Geez, Henry, you still don't believe that this is an ancient monument do you." 

"Sure I do. It may have been meant to be in the shape of a sickle. Ancient people were really close to nature and this could have been a place where they prayed for good harvests or something." 

P.C. remained aloof from this discussion. He was now peering through each of the standing stones in turn. His thoughts obviously elsewhere. 

Despite their disagreement, Rev and Henry continued the survey. Standing on the interior stone Rev used a compass to determine the relative positions of the standing stones. His excitement increased with each measurement. 

"It's a compass." 

"What do you mean?" 

"The stones are arranged like a compass. If you stand on this stone and let the compass needle come to rest it points directly at the gap of the standing stone over there. That must be due north. That stone to the right of me is due east, and that one is due west. There's a stone in every major direction except South and Southwest. Come and see for yourself." 

Henry had no idea what Rev was talking about, but pretended to be convinced that the stones were indeed aligned with the points on the compass. 

"Where does the white stone on the outside of the ring point?" 

Rev checked. "Due West." 

"Well maybe it's a calendar." 

"How do you figure that?" 

"When the sun goes down in the direction that stone is pointing, it's midsummer or something." 

Rev pondered this. Henry might be right. Better not admit it. His thoughts were interrupted by a shout from P.C., beckoning them over to the N.E. stone. 

"Okay, Rev. Kneel down and look through the gap in the stone and tell me what you see. " 

Rev did as he was asked. Henry followed. 

"Well?" 

"I saw the sea in the distance and there is a good view of Conishead Priory," said Rev. 

"Didn't you see the faint track heading straight for it?" asked P.C. 

"I did," said Henry. "I bet it's an ancient path." 

"Have you never seen a sheep track before?" sneered Rev. 

"But there aren't any sheep up here..." protested Henry. 

"Can't you two ever stop arguing? Go and look at that stone over there." 

"That will be the East stone," said Rev. 

"Whatever, just go and look through it." 

"Hey it's exactly the same," yelled Henry. "I can see the sea, Bardsea church and a track. Are they all like this P.C.?" 

"No. They don't all point at the sea. But all of them, with the exception of the one next to the triangle, the West one, give a view of a church." 

"Is there always a track leading across the moor to a church?" asked Henry. 

"Why don't you check for yourself?"  

Much to his delight, Henry discovered a path in every case. What could it mean? 

"Don't we have another tunnel to investigate?" said P.C. tiring of the activity, and anxious to return underground. 

"Do you think we really should?" asked Rev. 

"Sure. Mr. D said it was safe."