Chapter Six

“No!” I bolt upright in bed, the sheets tangled between my legs, a fine layer of sweat trapping my hair, sticking it to my face. I take a few deep breaths and wait until my heart regains it's normal pace. Then I look at the clock; ten am.

I get out of bed, my legs shaking, my knees wobbling and head over to the bathroom. I let the scalding water wash away all the sweat, the feelings of abandonment, betrayal, jealousy and insecurity down the drain. I get out, wrapping a robe around myself and venturing back into my bedroom.

I pick up my cell and tap in a text to Rhys. It's clipped and to the point - 'We need to talk. My bedroom. Now.' I get dressed while I wait for Rhys; a black racer-back tank top, shorts and my baseball cap. There's a knock at the window and I open it, letting Rhys in with the cool breeze.

I turn my back to him, crossing my arms, trying to imagine myself as a stone statue, him a flimsy being.

I'm the stronger one. I'm the stronger one. I'm the stronger one. I chant to myself repeatedly, thrumming the words into my mind. But all my resolve crumbles when Rhys wraps his warm arms around me, his soft lips brushing the hollow between my shoulder and neck, mumbling something indecipherable as his lips move up to nip at my ear gently. Then I remember how he kissed Eliza. I know it wasn't just a dream, it was one of her memories. The memories I have to live with. The memories that are infused into my soul, whether I like it or not. Eliza is a part of me, a dark part that I want to drown in a lake. A part that was wished upon my soul without me even knowing it.

I ignore the wash of desire that runs through me and stay unresponsive to his tempting caresses. Rhys notices my stiff posture and whispers in my ear, “Anything wrong, babe?” He kisses my cheek, turning me to face him, his hands soft on my bare flesh.

He props a finger under my chin, forcing my head up. I meet his eyes. “Hey.” He frowns, “What's wrong? Why are you upset?”

“You kissed her.” I simply say. If he knows me, he'll understand my words.

Rhys looks at me puzzled but then realisation dawns on his unnaturally beautiful face. He looks down at me with his piercing gaze, stroking my cheek and smiles sadly. He leads me over to the bed, sitting down opposite me and saying, “You've had your first memory. You remembered something.”

“No, I didn't remember because they're not my memories. They're her memories stuck in me and I don't want to know about them. You kissed her. In front of me, right in front of me.” I punch his chest, not really causing him any amount of damage but just hard enough to let him know that seeing it hurt me.

“I'm sorry you had to see that.” Rhys takes my hand in his apologetically, “I really am. But none of us can change what's happened in the past. What we can do is make the best of the present so we can have a better future.”

“Rhys, we don't even know our future!” I state, “We have threats hanging over our head we still aren't aware of. A powerful Master who wants us dead, his flawless army of supernatural beings who will stop at nothing to ensure their leader is pleased and obeyed and a battle we know nothing about yet we're at the center of it. I'm not even sure if I'm going to wake up tomorrow alive!”

Rhys looks at me, shocked, “Don't you dare. Don't you dare say that to me. That... you could die? How could you assume that I would let that happen to you? Do you have any idea how long I've waited for you? You're not going to die, I won't allow it!”

“Rhys, why does this have to happen to me? It's killing me. I am the only girlfriend on Earth who has to see the memories of her boyfriend's last relationship.” I walk away from his constricting arms and sit on the bed. He follows me and takes my hands in his.