Chapter Three

Elijah grins at me, lounging on my bed as if it is his own. “How have you been this past year, my dear little human?” He says, sitting up as I just stand and stare at him evenly, trying my best to ensure he doesn't sense the fear pounding through my veins, the smell of terror that must be emanating from me in strong waves, the beat of my heart increasing like someone banging against a drum.

“I thought I warned you about what you and your Master could lose last time you came down here. Before I lose my temper, you had best crawl back to the dark hole you came from. Leave now.” I say, thankful my voice sounds more courageous than I am feeling inside.

Elijah raises an eyebrow, “You have got nerve, but let me tell you one thing. The Master's daughter is no longer alive. He killed her. He is crazy. He killed His own daughter so He wouldn't be vulnerable.”

I gasp and then shake my head, “No, he wouldn't do that. He... his daughter means a lot to him. He wouldn't kill her.”

“You don't know Him!” Elijah roars at me, making me cringe back, “He will do anything to appear all-powerful! You defeated him and ever since, He's become a lunatic!”

I stare at him, “Elijah, leave before Rhys comes. The past times you have been in my room have not ended pleasantly for you.”

“Don't you get what I'm saying?!” Elijah exclaims, “He wants another battle and this one will be worse.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I ask, “You're his messenger, his little wingman.” No pun intended, what with Elijah being an angel. “Because I am worried. I might loathe Rhys now, but I don't want him to die. I don't want you to die. You need to run.”

“I can't run, Elijah!” I tell him, “I have my family, my friends, my whole life here. We won last time, we'll win this time around too. I think you should go.”

“Are you feeling attracted to Rhys, in more intense ways than before?” Elijah carries on undeterred. I stare at him, my insides going cold. He nods just as if I had answered, “It's Him doing that to you. He has some sort of warlock working spells on you. If He finds out I was here, I'm dead. I'm risking my life by coming down here. You have to go to Rhys and ensure your safety some way or another. The Master won't back down.”

“Elijah, I don't know why you suddenly decide to have some humanity now, but I can't risk everything I have with Rhys on a whim. Has he discussed this battle with you?” I question him, going past him and sitting on my bed.

Elijah nods, “Yes. A few times. He keeps saying He has something big planned, something no one will see coming. Something that will ensure your defeat. That is why I'm saying, you have to hide. He's not all-powerful, even I can see the holes in His armour. But He is dangerous.”

I look at him, “I'll run it by Rhys.”

Elijah nods, “Even though it doesn't seem like it, I do care.”

Then with a flash of wings, he's gone. I shudder at the sudden gust of wind and pick up my jacket with a stony resolve, thudding down the stairs and out the door.

“Rhys, I actually believe him.” I say as Rhys looks at the table in front of him, “I've never seen Elijah like this before and I trust he's telling the truth.”

“Since when can you trust Elijah?” Rhys bursts, “He's tried to force you into kissing him, he's pulled a knife on you, he's threatened your life. How can you suddenly believe him?”

“Because I just can.” I justify, “Rhys, I can tell when he's lying and when he's not. Trust me on this. He was telling the truth. He means well, for once. The Master wants another battle. He isn't used to losing.”