Chapter 39 - Smoke

"Manny!"

Hawkins awoke to the sound of a distraught Thyraxian soaring towards her still groggy partner, his thoughts of Cricket being cast aside out of concern for the little Nocturian creature. She landed on Mantis' chest like a fly on flytrap. The Air Traited immediately rose like a corpse, heavy and oblivious to her surroundings until she saw her patched up wounds.

It was as if she had been doused in scalding hot water, jerking away from the emotional outburst but her bones ached in pain at the jerk movements. It wasn't until Mantis looked down did she see Thea clinging to her chest.

"Hey. What's with the crying?" Mantis asked, comforting her teeny partner with her hand.

Hawkins smiled, happy to see the duo reunited once again but the pang of sadness at the absence of his own only muddied the touching moment. But Thea's brazen change in attitude when dealing with Gizmo hadn't waned one bit as she berated Mantis for her recklessness. 

“I told you not to go after her but you didn’t listen to me! You ran in headfirst like always and if it wasn’t for Hawkins slapdash thinking then you wouldn’t be here!”

A second wave of tears began to fall, Thea nuzzling her partner furiously until Hawkins had no choice but to smile awkwardly and look away. It was a private moment he couldn’t bring himself to spoil a second time with his melancholy, deciding instead to focus on the grumpy Tinker Mole still trapped by a sullen Firestep wolf. 

Gizmo sat with his back to the wall, a large shard of debris that he himself had created digging into his small frame. Clearly bored by the topic of placid conversation he flicked pebbles at his jailor who was forced to keep guard on his chaotically mischievous prisoner. His antics caught Hawkins attention, receiving only a scowl in return and changing his target. 

"Thanks, Hawkins."

It took him a while to recognise Mantis’ gratitude, not expecting such a phrase to ever come out of her mouth. Not only did she avoid using his first name despite the easy mockery she could’ve provided but the tone of her voice provided a smidge of genuine respect. Until Gizmo hit him square in the forehead with a pebble. 

A derisive snort soon turned into a fit of hysterics as the two laughed at the absurdity of it all. Gizmo smirked victoriously, a satisfied glint in his eye only for Mantis to register who exactly was the dishevelled suit wearing Tinker Mole in front of them.

"What is that decrasca doing here?"

Her accusing tone broke through the jovial laughter and immediately the mood turned on its head. A quiet silence clung to the air like mist, the sense of irritation spiking Hawkins anxiety just enough to make him shudder.

"I could ask you the same thing, Lady Mantis. Weren't you tasked with eradicating this Mediator?" Gizmo reminded her, casually leaning back against his stone prison.

Mantis' gaze flickered to her partner's broken leg, Thea's jerky movements barely noticeable unless you saw it up close. Shifting her weight just to stop herself from keeling over, Hawkins' anger towards the Tinker Mole grew a little more.

"I'll eradicate you if you don't shut up." Mantis retorted, nudging Thea a little closer as if to protect her.

Hazard growled before the Tinker Mole could even retort, ending the feud and any other Neridian swears Mantis could utilise. Hawkins' mouth tweaked upwards at the thought of Hack's 'lessons' of how to call an elven noble a bastard. It seemed Mantis had decided on her own usage of such a term.

Mantis remained silent, still wary of the Firestep wolf and her quiet fury continued to emanate off her in waves as if she too was a Fire Traited. Her uncomfortableness over being called 'Lady' was visible on her face, obviously affecting her greatly either due to her family history or the fact Gizmo was the one who said it.