Chapter 27 - Choices

It was the only logical explanation.

Hawkins knew very little of Abnormal grimoires. It was why they were known by such a term: unusual, unpredictable and like any grimoire that came his way; extremely dangerous. So how? How had it created a Triad without his permission? 

Was it in a similar situation to a Lariat, only needing the Agars desire to be met to fulfil such a condition? It would make sense considering how his Trait had seemingly settled without Wisp by his side and how much of a liking it had taken to the little Trollian. But what about these memories? They definitely weren't his and the black grimoire was certainly living up to its namesake if it was the thing causing it. 

Regardless, Memoriam was probably the only reason he wasn't a Truant right now. He had regained a considerable amount of Trait after resting but his control was still nowhere near the level of when he left for Axis. He could barely condense the smoke into a wall let alone create a highly detailed smoke clone to throw off enemies.

Cricket on the other hand had an abundance of Trait and now she had an idea of who she was up against, it would be extremely difficult taking the young girl by surprise without some sort of plan. Subduing her was no longer an option. The whole reason she hadn't returned from that feeble blast wasn't because she couldn't detect them. It was because for some reason she didn't feel the need to yet.

Triads were highly powerful but very unpredictable. Much like an Abnormal grimoire, much was lost about the documentation of creating it and was only passed along through rumours and hearsay. Heck, the only reason they even had a chance at completing one was because they had a highly knowledgeable Scale Shrieker and a group of crazy Traited with nothing left to lose. 

But still...Cricket's motivations left a lot to be desired. A young girl stuck in a trance only to awaken once one of her comrades was fatally injured. Not Mantis. Not Cull but Rin. She was concerned only for Rin. To the point where she'd kill anyone that got in her way. So why Memoriam? Why trouble herself over a book she couldn't detect? 

The stark similarities of their goals awoke Hawkins from his stupor, everyone staring at him with varying degrees of concern, confusion and annoyance yet no time seemed to have passed. The Mediator took a deep breath, eyeing the group in front of him and made a decision that he hoped he wouldn't come to regret. He knew in his heart that Rin had purposefully been skipped to allow her the deciding vote. Odi was on her side after all but the niggling feeling that she was hiding something didn't help his suspicions. 

Creating a Triad was inevitable at this point. Heck, at least they had a choice in the matter. But before they began, Hawkins needed to put everything on the table, speculation or otherwise and trust that his companions knew what they were doing. Or at least whatever Hack and Odi felt was worth hiding from him.

 "Triads are a very old type of Trait, rarely used anymore. It's understandable to be wary of it. But I think...I think that is what Cricket is after with regards to the black grimoire, Memoriam." Hawkins said, explaining his theory as best he could.

"What do you mean? Our boss wants the grimoire not Cricket." The half elf sneered, reminding him of who led their ragtag group of troublemakers.

Hawkins sighed, seeing no point getting mad over a simple fact. Any Mediator, be it a newly sworn in Sentry or a veteran like Hack knew of the Swarm's leader. Once a mysterious Fire Traited hidden by smoke and steel now a brazen schemer of a Lightning Traited, practically insane with a vicious bite against all things orderly. 

There was only one reason they followed her. Hornet was power beyond words. If she got her hands on such a crazy grimoire, who knew how long they'd survive. If she found out it was attached to him? He'd never see Wisp again.