Chapter 38 - Wanderer

Nivara growled, annoyed she hadn't clocked the usurper over the head for that. 

"You're late, Calvaros."

Just as she had spoken her informant's name, the illusion lifted and there before her was a full war battalion fit to take over a good chunk of Opalis and then some. If they so desired. 

The Ravenback Moles were infamous for their stealth and cunning, only choosing missions that benefited their clan, kinsmen and creed to protect all who took shelter with them. Even lowly outlaws like the Tempest of Caldor were acquitted under their colours.

They wore varying colours of cyan and indigo warpaint, their spears aloft but barely visible against the desert nights embrace. Only the leader of the group dared to dismount from his Spiritwalker, his hooked mask and cloak depicting the ravens they idolised so much.

"I have stated my claim. I believe it is only courtesy to state yours."

Nivara rolled her eyes at the formality, the current commander's stickler nature never changing no matter how many of his kin was in his company. She eyed the semi translucent beasts, their forms whirring the sand into a quiet frenzy. 

The subtle shifts of her mist told her another soldier had moved without their commanders orders, attempting to use their black fur to hide their bumbling clawsteps. Still pissed after Calvaros had unreservedly used her first name in front of his entire squad she ignored it, seeing no need to warn such a competent leader.

"My claim is to myself, Squad Leader. I am led by my own actions not by the eyes of the Fatekeeper. Perhaps you would know what that’s like if you kept a better eye on your soldiers."

As if she had predicted it, a girlish scream echoed around her secluded camp, causing the group of Tinker Moles to murmur restlessly. Calvaros' anger was almost palpable as he raised a claw for silence but Nivara had no intention of letting him waste any more time.

She stalked around the back of her tent, the sound of swearing muffled by the partially soundproof canvas, her dagger tight in her grasp. Nivara's flaring Trait kept the Squad Leaders fury at bay, her footfalls silent as she entered her hideout.

"A dragon always lies..." She called out the first half of the password, ignoring the whining baby of a Tinker Mole.

He was slumped over against the closest tent wall, clutching his bleeding neck as he stained the canvas with his blood. The Tinker Mole continued to curse in Nocturian as a livid dragon twice the size of their mounts bared her teeth at the intruder. 

Nivara worriedly scanned the room, lowering her weapon and stance to try and alleviate the situation. Knuckle Burst dragons were known for their temper especially when cornered and the added addition of Willow being abused was a delicate concoction.

"But...but not without intention."

She barely caught the voice of the young Fire Traited still huddled within his sleeping bag beneath his protective Agar. Willow's belly was low to the ground, her collar fully extended in outrage as she bared her bloodied teeth at anything that moved.

Nivara knelt down slowly, eyes transfixed on the dragon as she discarded her dagger. Ever so slowly, she pulled down her hood and gently offered a hand to the Agar and her partner.

"Stand down, Willow. You did exactly as you needed to. Well done." 

The dragon growled, Sleek's anxiety towards her slowly helping her snap out of her enraged state. He reached out to calm her, stroking her neck until her collar and anger lessened in size. 

Willow looked at Nivara completely ashamed by her own behaviour but she smiled reassuringly at the dragon. She was well aware of what wrath that could occur from an overprotective partner.