The Boy Next Door- Chapter 12

Chapter 12- Colby 

I sat along a curb in the parking lot of the gym. Ben had dropped me off on the way to his friend's house and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to just walk into the gym or not. I waited for what seemed like an eternity until I watched a beautiful girl named Hailey walk out of the glass doors. She walked up and hugged me, I smiled as she buried her face in my chest. 

"What was that for?" I asked as she pulled away. 

"I'm just happy you're here." She said, grabbing my hand. She pulled me into the gym and led me to the bleachers. We sat down at the top row and leaned against the wall. 

"Did you already talk to the coach?" I asked 

"Yeah, I had to show her my beam routine and then she said she would talk to my parents about letting me join." 

"Man, I wanted to watch you." 

"I'm sure you'll have plenty more opportunities." 

I looked her up and down. Her sandaled feet were faintly covered with white dust. The waistband of her shorts was rolled over enough to see just the top of the leg holes in her leotard. I could see the outline of her subtle six pack under the tight fabric of the leotard. Her arms were covered in goosebumps and her hands were folded in her lap. Her face looked so happy. Just by looking up into her twinkling blue eyes I knew gymnastics was the one thing that could take her away from all the sadness of her life and make her genuinely happy. 

"What?" She asked, noticing me smiling at her. 

"Nothing, I just like looking at you." What the heck? What was that supposed to mean? What am I doing? 

"Okay then..." Her voice trailed off as she went back to watching. Her focus switched from me to what was going on on the equipment. I sighed and played with the hem of my sweatshirt. 

"Are you cold?" I asked noticing the goosebumps on Hailey's arms again. 

"Kind of, Rachelle put my sweatshirt back in the locker room." 

"Here you can wear this." I pulled the sweatshirt over my head and held it out to her. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yeah, I'm kind of warm anyways." 

She took the Grover Baseball sweatshirt from my hands and slipped it over her head. It was a little big on her but I figured she liked it as she smiled up at me and leaned her head on my shoulder. 

"Hailey?" I asked, getting a little nervous for what I was about to do. 

"Yeah?" She asked, looking up at me. 

"Are you going to the End of Summer Bash?"  

"Yeah, I think so. Why?" 

"I was kind of wondering if you know, you would want to go with me?" 

"I was hoping you would ask me." She blushed. 

I slid my arm around her shoulders and she giggled, playing with my hand. Her small hand fit perfectly in mine. I didn't ever want to let go. I wondered what Hailey was thinking in that beautiful head of hers. She looked up at me with her big, chocolate brown eyes. We sat like that for the rest of the practice. When it was time to go meet Rachelle outside the locker room Hailey grabbed my hand. She led me through the maze of equipment.  

"Wait here." She instructed as she slipped through the door. She emerged a few seconds later, carrying a duffel bag. Rachelle followed. I took her bag from her and grabbed her hand. Rachelle looked at Hailey, confused then they both squealed. Girls are so crazy, yet so amazing. We walked home from the gym, me holding her hand the whole way. I could get used to this.