The Boy Next Door- Chapter 6

Colby’s P.O.V.

I wiped a circle in the foggy mirror as I stepped out of the shower. I dried off, and pulled on grey shorts and a green t-shirt. I went to Ava's room to check on her. She was awake from her nap and Hailey and her were sitting on the floor, playing with her dollhouse. I stood in the doorway for a while, watching Hailey talk to Ava. I fell out of my daydream as Ava punched me in the stomach. 

"What Ava?" I winced as she continued hitting my already-sore abs. 

"Why aren't you answering me?" She demanded. 

"I-I wasn't paying attention."  

"Well I have to go potty!" 

"Oh, okay." I grabbed her pudgy hand and led her to the bathroom, then pulled the door shut behind me as she pulled down her pull-up and climbed on top of the toilet.  

"Call me when you're done." I closed the bathroom door behind me and went back down the hallway to Ava's room, where Hailey still was sitting on the butterfly-shaped carpet. She was tapping away at the keyboard of her purple Blackberry.  

"So, do you want to go to the park or something?" I asked. 

"Actually, my mom just texted me. I have to go and help her out with some wedding stuff." 

"Oh, okay." I said, sadly.

"Yeah, but I'll call you later." She smiled, standing up.

"Okay." I walked her downstairs and out the door. 

"Bye!" She smiled, waving. 

"See you later!" I smiled. I just wanted to hug her so bad. 

"Colby!" Ava's small voice called from upstairs. 

I closed the door behind Hailey, and ran up the stairs to Ava. She was standing in the bathroom waiting for me to flush for her. I did, and lifted her to the sink so she could wash her hands. When we were done I put her in front of the TV to watch cartoons, then went to my room to play video games. I couldn't get my mind off of Hailey. Maybe that was the reason I had already died three times and I'd only been playing for 10 minutes. I finally gave up and called Wilson. 

"Hey Man, what's going on?" He answered. 

"Can you come over? I need help." 

"Hailey?" 

I didn't say anything for a minute, and then laughed. 

"That's what I thought. Yeah, I'll be over in a second." 

"Thanks dude." I slid my phone shut then leaned back into the couch. For the first time, I was serious about liking a girl. I wasn't just attracted this girl because she was hot. I was attracted to her because she was beautiful, smart, funny, and she smelled amazing. She was so much more real then all of the girls I had dated before. She was perfect in my eyes. I always wanted to be around her and I had never felt that way about anyone before. It was so easy to talk to her. I felt like I could tell her anything whether it was good or bad and she wouldn't judge me. I trusted her most out of anyone, besides my family, yet I had only known her for a few days. I had to hope that she felt the same way about me. 

All of the thoughts vanished as I was startled out of my daze by the doorbell. 

"So, you got lady troubles?" Wilson asked, pushing me aside as I opened the door. 

"Not, troubles. I'm just confused." 

"About what? You like her, she likes you. Instant couple." 

"No, I don't even know if she does like me and I can't just ask her." 

"Why not?" 

"I can't just do that!" 

"Man, you really like her, huh?" 

"Yeah, I've never felt like this about anybody before." 

"Not even Tiff?" 

"Don't even bring her up, she's pissing me off." 

"Why?" 

"She won't leave me alone." 

"I heard she was going out with Josh to make you jealous." 

"Josh that she cheated on me with?" 

"Yeah." 

"I hate both of them." 

"We all do. Back to Hailey." 

"Yeah, how can I let find out if she likes me, without telling her how I feel?" 

Wilson shrugged and glanced at the screen of his phone. 

"Man, I gotta go." 

"Thanks for the help." I said sarcastically. 

"Man, I got lady troubles of my own!" He shouted as he shut the door behind him. 

Wilson had been dating a girl, Jazmyn, on and off for about a year now. They were together right now and Wilson wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible. Relationships were very important for him. His parents had been so in love, and they died when he was only six. He lived with his aunt and uncle now and wanted to make every relationship as special as his parents' had been. I understood that he had his reasons, but sometimes he took things a little far, especially for our age.

I sighed and rested my head in my hands. I wanted to tell Hailey I liked her but I didn't want to scare her away. I just sat there for a while, before I went back to losing my game. I was so pathetic. I needed help. Fast. I was the youngest boy in my family. Garrett was nineteen, Ben was seventeen and I was fifteen. Both of them had been successful in the relationship area and I of course was expected to follow. There was so much pressure. Normally, I would talk to Garrett or Ben about this but Garrett was at college in Texas and Ben was at a football camp for most of the summer.

My phone vibrated. I had a new text from Hailey. 

When are you done babysitting?  

My heart began to beat a little faster and I typed out '4'. 

I might be painting my room later. Wanna help me? :) 

Of course I wanted to help her.