Chapter 42

Khloe's POV:

I let out a sigh of relief as we entered back into Nico's room.

The rest of the blood collection went by quickly and luckily without any other sort of incident.

Although Nico had been quieter than usual ever since the incident with Samuel happened.

I wasn't really too sure why, but I could tell that he wasn't mad at me about anything so that eased any major worry that I had about the subject.

I slowly made my way over to the foot of the bed as Nico headed straight for the closet.

The bed dipped a bit as I hopped up onto it, rubbing my tired eyes and letting out a quiet sigh.

"So, care to tell me more about that boy?"

I looked up wide-eyed, seeing Nico lean against the door frame of his closet.

That was the first thing he's said since it happened...

I intertwined my hands in my lap as a weird form of nervousness went through me.

Why on earth would he want to know more about him?

"Um... What do you want to know?" I asked tentatively.

" I want to know who he was to you," He said as he pulled off his tie, "In order for him to want to try something like that, you must have been pretty special to him, right?"

I felt heat rise in my cheeks.

I could tell that Nico was mad at Samuel even though his voice wasn't really showing it.

"He was my friend back when I lived in the city," I explained quickly, not wanting to dwell on this topic for much longer.

Nico hummed quietly as he pushed himself off of the doorframe and took a step closer towards where I was.

"I see," He began, "Has he always been that forceful?"

My brows furrowed as he spoke, looking down towards the floor.

I had never thought of him as forceful, but that thought hadn't even crossed my mind back when I interacted with him.

But now that I think about it, I guess he was always kind of a control freak, but he was never mean to me.

"Yes," I spoke softly.

I jumped when I looked up to see him standing right in front of me.

"Huh."

I watched as Nico gently grabbed the wrist that Samuel had grabbed.

He looked over it silently.

Samuel had grabbed me tight, but it wasn't tight enough to leave any sort of mark.

"He was kind of forceful, but he's never really been the smartest," I added.

Nico met my eye for a bit before returning his attention to my wrist.

"Yea I had noticed that the moment he asked you to go with him."

My eyes went round.

"You heard all of that?" I asked.

I knew that he heard part of it but I didn't realize that he had heard all of it.

He paused for a moment like he didn't mean to share that information with me.

"Yea. I saw all of it."

I rose a brow.

"Why didn't you intervene sooner?" I asked.

I was kind of upset to hear that he saw the whole thing but waited to do something about it.

I knew that I didn't have enough courage to get myself out of that situation, and I really didn't want to tell Sam why I didn't want to go with him.

Nico's hand slid up, so He was holding my palm between his thumb and the rest of his fingers

"I didn't want to intervene until I saw that it was necessary. Dealing with other humans is a waste of time for me, but once he tried to force you to go with him I decided that that was when I needed to step in."

I blinked at him for a moment.

"Oh..." I paused shifting my legs a bit, "Then... I want to thank you again for stepping in when you did."

His thumb rubbed lightly against my palm.

"Yea..." He spoke lowly, slowly releasing my palm.

His eyes shifted to the side for a moment.

"I hope you know that I wasn't serious about what I said I was going to do to you if he took you." He spoke.

My lips parted a bit at the tone of his voice.

It was almost like he was worried.

"I know," I said

This time Nico's eyes widened ever so slightly as he looked at me.

"You do?"

I nodded.

"I knew that you were serious about what you said about Samuel, but... I don't know, I just knew that you wouldn't kill me."

I did. As weird as it sounded I knew that even if Samuel somehow succeeded in making me go with him, Nico wouldn't have hurt me.

It felt weird to say out loud though.

Nico seemed content with my answer.

"Good." He said before heading back to his closet.

I guess that's all he wanted to clear up.

Thoughts rushed around my head, recapping that conversation as soon as his back was turned towards me.

I watched as he disappeared into the closet, one truth that I pulled from what had happened showing itself.

I was so comfortable around him, much more comfortable than I have with pretty much anyone else.

I felt so safe with him around, and now I was certain that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to me. Whereas my own family couldn't and didn't offer me that same safety.

Not that it was exactly their fault that they couldn't offer me it...

These feelings were so weird to have towards him, towards a vampire.

I swallowed hard as I realized what my worries were trying to tell me.

I was getting too attached to my Master.