Chapter 31

I just stared as I tried to plan something that would work. Something that would just put an end to this.

I knew that I had to do something, and I knew that I was going to get hurt.

If I do something soon, then hopefully there will be a small chance that Ill make it out of this alive.

And even if I don't...

I shook my head. I couldn't start doubting.

Getting killed was part of a pets life. It was unavoidable, so I've known that this was going to happen for many years.

At least if I were to die tonight, it would be in the hands of my own Master.

I sucked in a shaky breath, every part of my body telling me that this was a mistake.

I knew this was a mistake, but what choice did I have?

Either way, I was going to end up hurt or dead.

I exhaled that same breath.

Now or never.

I closed my hands into a fist as I bit down hard onto the inside of my cheek.

It didn't take long for the metallic taste of blood to reach my tongue.

I've been told that even the smallest scent of blood during this night could make a Vampire unable to hold themselves together.

Even if that's not exactly what I wanted to happen, it was the only thing that I could do.

Conjuring whatever last drop of courage that I could muster, I slowly exhaled a breath through my mouth.

The taste of my own blood was like tasting poison, knowing that it was going to get me killed.

I flinched as Nico's head suddenly shot up, his eyes fixed straight ahead.

Even I could hear the faint sound of him sniffing the air, his eyes growing wider as he did.

"Khloe, whatever the hell you're doing, you need to stop." His threatening tone was overpowered by the shakiness of his voice.

He didn't even look at me, probably knowing that once he did, he'd be a goner.

He was a lot better a fighting it than I thought.

So, despite what every sensible part of my body was saying, I took a step forward. And then another, and another.

He didn't need me to stop. What he really needed was for me to keep going.

So, that was what I was going to do.

I held my blood in my mouth as I approached his bed.

If a smell didn't work on him, then the last option I had was a taste.

I froze for a second, rethinking the plan that popped into my mind.

I was definitely going to die...

If he didn't end up killing me tonight, then he'll probably end up killing me for what I was about to do next.

And for every time I've disobeyed him prior to this moment.

Maybe he wouldn't kill me, just punish me...

I don't even know which one would be better.

Still, I carried on, slowly making my way onto his bed.