Chapter Ten:

Everywhere I look there are faces mourning the death of Sean. His family sits on the left side of the church, whilst all his friends sit on the right. Daisy is placed next to Sean's farther who has gone into a deep depression since finding out about his son's death.

I desperately want to go over there and apologise for his loss, but a diminutive girl, with long fair hair standing about five meters away from me catches my eye. Beside her stands a young boy about two years old, but what makes me curious about them is that the young boy looks extremely like Sean.

The girl notices me and begins to walk towards me, with the young boy in tow. “Excuse me are you Jenny Star?” She pauses about ten centimetres in front of me, and starts to look me up and down as if she is suspecting me of something. “Yes... why do I know you?” I reply sounding cautious. “No....but I know you!” Her words take me by surprise, how would she know me and if she does know me, where from?

“You must be happy with your lover.....Jason isn't it?” She picks up the young boy and places him on her hip with her arms around him, as if she is protecting him from me. “We're fine thank you, I'm sorry but can I help you?” I say this but what I want right now is to get away from her as fast as I can. Because something about her and the young boy makes me feel uneasy. “As a matter of fact you can, you can explain to me why you murdered my fiancé!”

What does she mean fiancé? The only person I have killed is Sean, and that was only an act of self defence. That's when it hits me! Her fiancé was Sean!

“Well.... I'm waiting!” She's yelling at me now, but it doesn't matter how loud she gets. I don't know what to say to her, how can I apologise for killing Sean! He brought it on himself.

“Perhaps lover boy can tell me!” No! I don't want her talking to Jason, but it's to late. Jason is behind me placing his arms around me, offering me his sympathy. “Excuse me, but are you Jason?” Jason looks startled, he doesn't even recognise the girl. “Yes, can I help you?” He replies, but not letting go of me, he can obviously tell that something is not quite right with this conversation.

“Yes, I was just asking Jenny here, why she felt the need to coldly murder my fiancé!” Jason is taken back by her words. “Excuse me....Jenny hasn't killed anyone apart from Sean which was an act of self defence!” I can tell by his tone that he is angry but he is trying to remain calm since were at a funeral, where many people are grieving. “Self defend herself from what exactly? She coldly murdered my fiancé and the farther to my child!”

So that's why the young boy looks a lot like Sean! Sean was his farther, but how could he be? “Come again?” I say. “You heard me! You killed my fiancé and my child's farther!”

Me and Jason both look at each other, most likely thinking the same thing. Those three years that we were apparently gone for, Sean got engaged and had a child! Which means I have not only destroyed one family but two!

I try to say something to this woman who was Sean's fiancé but no words come out.  “Come on Callum, we won't let this mean old woman hurt us any more” She says then turns away hand in hand with her son and takes her seat by Sean's coffin with out saying another word!

I turn around so that I am facing Jason where he slowly unwraps himself from me and takes my hand instead, where he leads us to the back of the room where we can talk in private if we have to, whilst the ceremony takes place.

 The vicar takes his place in front of us all, where he gives Sean's farther and brother a reassuring smile before beginning his speech

“Friends and Family of Sean, it's with a heavy heart that I pay my respects to you all, Sean was a great young man he always put others first”

I decide to tune myself out so that I don't have to listen the depressing speeches that will take place shortly. I still can't get over what that girl said to me.

I didn't even find out her name where really I should of asked her for it, but we were both busy, with her yelling at me that I am a cold murderer and me finding out that the boy who use to be my best friend was engaged and is a farther!

I can see Jason in the corner of my eye staring at me as if he is waiting for me to break down crying, but I don't feel like crying. Yes, Sean may have been my best friend but that still doesn't make up for what he has done to me!

He has taken my only chance of becoming a mother, even though I am still capable of having the one I am pregnant with, but even that doesn't stop me fretting over that any day I could miss carry, then I will never have a child! Even though, Daisy made me accept her offer of being a surrogate for me and Jason. I still don't agree with it, but when ever I try tricking her out of it she just argues back and stands her ground.

“Jenny....” Jason is tapping my leg trying to gain my attention, I try to ignore him but then everyone starts staring at me muttering to themselves. “What?” I ask feeling annoyed.

“The vicar has called your name, you got to go up and give a speech” he replies with a hint of objection in his tone.

Give a speech. How can I give a speech, what could I say? Sean was my best friend and I feel sorry for you all that I killed him!

But over all the feelings that I am feeling. I slowly make my way up to the front where I can feel everyone's eyes focusing on me as I take to the stand to say a few words.

Before speaking I scan the room, to see if I can spot any familiar faces but the only ones I do make out are Sean's farther and brother who are both looking at me as if I'm something they just stepped in and who can blame them.

Then there's Daisy who is offering them her sympathy although she is also giving me a reassuring smile at the same time, I find Jason where I left him at the back of the room, but where I expect him to be looking at me.

I find him looking at another woman, who is sat about six rows in front of me. She seems quite tall and very slim, her eyes are bright blue like Daisy's and her hair is dark brown like mine. Then I realise this woman, was the woman who abandoned us three years ago, this woman is mine and Daisy's mother!