Chapter One:

The bitter weather hit me immediately, as I drew my curtains to catch a glimpse of the winter wonderland that awaited me. My eyes were amazed at the pure white blanket that had covered all wildernesses as I knew it.

“Jenny?” I turned my head one hundred and eighty degrees and there stood my little sister Daisy looking completely bewildered. I knew already what she was thinking of. Today was her first day at St. Katharine's School, the school that I attended, however where I am close to graduating, Daisy is only just starting her adventure there. She's only twelve years old and has already suffered more than any child should at that age.

Our mother barely stays in reality long enough to even notice us since our farther was lost at sea. He disappeared almost four years ago, whilst on a journey to what he called Justice Island! I don't know why he decided to name it Justice island, the only thing I know about the Island, is that my farther studied it for months before he departed for his adventure. He said that he would only be gone for a short while and that he would be back before we even noticed he'd gone! But here we are almost four years later and still no sign of him! I remember the last thing he said to me, he bent down so he was my height, which also made him have eye contact with me then he said “You wait Jenny, when I come back we will have money coming out of our ears, so much money in fact you can go to any college you want!” But now the only times I see him or even hear him is in my dreams, which quickly lead to a nightmare.

“Morning Daisy, you looking forward to your first day?” I try to say this as cheerful as I can trying not to make her even more nervous than she already is. Her gaze meets mine. Where she manages to give me a smile trying to act as brave as she can. I walk towards her and brush her raven black hair out of her bright blue eyes that shine like sapphires and give her a light kiss on the tip of her nose. Like our mother use to do to reassure us that everything was all right and that we were safe, no matter what dangers were going on in the outside world. But even that small bit of affection,that use to mean the world to me and Daisy, she has failed to do!

“Can you stay with me today?” she takes my hand in hers, where I give her a reassuring squeeze before saying “Of course I will and I promise you that today will be the best day of your life” I pull her in close to my body where I cling to her as if my life depended on it. Whilst we are locked in each others embrace a tall, slim figure appears in the door frame. “Jenny....Daisy it's time you were both getting to school otherwise you'll be late” Our mother stands there and by the looks of it she's fighting back tears. But what for?

I would ask her why she has tears in her eyes, but if she hasn't made time for me in the past four years, why should I make time for her?

I ignore her not wanting to let go of Daisy, not wanting to end this moment, the moment where I feel that I am actually wanted! Although, no matter how much I want this moment to last, it doesn't as Daisy begins to pull away slowly whilst looking towards our mother who's holding Daisy's coat in her hands ready for her to put on. I grab my coat from the wooden hook above my bed not wanting my mother to feel the need to place my coat on me as well. Once I have put it on, I grab Daisy's hand who's yelling goodbye to our mother whilst being led down the stairs by me and walk ourselves to school, not wanting to stay in my house a minute longer than I have too, where that woman who I have to call mother mopes around all day feeling sorry for herself.

 As we're walking to school I can't help myself but tip my head back catching snowflakes in my mouth like I use to do with my father when I was Daisy's age. Daisy catches on and realises what I'm doing and tries it for herself but stops after a while as her neck begins to ache.

“What's it like Jenny?” I look at her puzzled, whilst trying to figure out what she is talking about. Then I realise she means the school.

“It's.....um..... It's big and you learn a lot about the towns history like that statue outside the mayor's house, you know the one you always like to run around?” I reply, whilst pushing her hair behind her ear so that it is out of her eyes. Then she begins to chuckle to herself like she use to do when she was five, when she use to make daisy chains in the meadow.  “Do that again” I say laughing at her. “Do what?” she says this looking confused but yet she hasn't stopped chuckling.