Chapter 29

Harry

Several hours after leaving New Orleans, I exit the highway somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Texas. There isn't a whole lot of civilization around us except for this one exit in which I can see a decent amount of restaurants and gas stations. I'm not really interested in stopping but the car is running low on gas and that isn't something I can just ignore.

I'm in a mood. Ever since we left Zayn's place, I've been in a shitty mood and I know what's caused it. I just don't want to admit anything just yet. But my shitty mood has been the root of my silence throughout the entire drive here and the awkward moments between Felicity and I in any conversation that she attempted to start. I don't mean to act this way but I'm just really fucking annoyed with myself. 

As I park at the closest gas station, I get out of the car and walk over to Felicity's side. She sits in the passenger's seat, wrapped up in the thin piece of fabric I've claimed to be a blanket. It doesn't look like she has any plans to move from her spot, but I'm about to change those.

"Get out of the car," I demand as I open her door.

She looks at me with confusion and annoyance for letting cold air into the car. "No."

"This is a bathroom break and a time for me to fill the tank. So get out and go pee."

"It's cold! And besides, I don't need to use the bathroom."

"When you start walking around, you'll need to go. And if you don't go now, you're going to have to go some time down the road, causing us to take another pitstop. Just go now."

"I don't need to go!"

Without giving it another thought, I bend down and reach into the car, unbuckling her seatbelt and picking her up the same way I carried her through New Orleans. She does her best to squirm out of my grip but I continue to hold on tightly. I use my foot to shut the car door as I begin to walk away and towards the gas station. I can tell the people inside the shop and the other people pumping gas around us are watching with confusion, and probably concern, but I don't really care.

It's this shitty mood.

"Put me down!" Felicity shouts as she hits me in the shoulder.

It isn't until I reach the doors of the gas station shop that I set her down, pointing inside at the restrooms in the back corner.

"We've been on the road for four hours and I noticed you didn't use the restroom before we left. You drank all that water at breakfast. At some point you're going to need to use the bathroom, so you might as well at least try to go while we're currently stopped for gas. There's four more hours left on this drive and I'm not planning on stopping again. So get in there and do your thing."

Felicity unwraps herself from the blanket and shoves it in my chest with a defeated sigh. The two of us roll our eyes at each other before she walks in towards the restrooms and I head back to the car.

For two hours of the drive, she had been asleep. It was kind of a relief for me but also kind of a drag. As much as I would have liked for her to have been awake to keep me company while I drove, I almost needed the peace and quiet to myself. I also knew with the amount of alcohol she drank last night, she needed the extra sleep.

I just couldn't keep up with the thoughts racing around my head. The silence within the car as she slept helped a little bit. It gave me time to think about shit, but I'm not fully cured of this insanity. I don't know what to do about everything. I mean, these emotions and feelings and shit that are suddenly making themselves present are driving me crazy. Of my near twenty-one years of living, I've never experienced anything like this.