Chp. 3 (Dal)

I was pushed against the rough wall of our trailer. My dads breath on my neck. I could feel the tears rolling down my face despite my desperation to keep them in.
    "You fucking bitch," my dad said. "You fucking piece of shit."
     He raised his belt and brought the buckle down across my shoulder, making me yelp.
     He turned me around and put a hand around my neck. I couldn't stop crying.
    "Ahh," he mocked, "look at the little fag cry."
      He punched in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me. And he did again and again. Until I wasn't sure if I would ever get to breathe.
     He pushed me onto the floor, raising an electrical cord this time, and brought down on my back over and over. I could feel the blood running down my sides.
    He dropped the cord. "Well if you're a little fag I guess I'll treat you like one!" He pulled down my pants. I was too weak, too pathetic to even move.

                         ——————————

     I woke up screaming. Straight up screaming. I couldn't breathe. And what scared me most was that it may have been a dream, but that doesn't mean it didn't, or won't, happen again.
    I heard footsteps, and I braced myself for my dads hand around my neck, for a slap in the face. For something even worse than that.
     But that never came. Instead a gentle hand touched the side of my face.
    "Dal," a voice said. "Dal breathe."
But I didn't. Didn't this voice know that I couldn't breathe?
"Dal!" the voice said more urgently. I felt the bed shifting, and someone moved closer to me, I could feel their breath against my face. But it wasn't hot and painful like my dads, it was warm and calming. A second hand was placed on the other side of my face. "Dal! Breathe!"
This time I did. I exhaled so quickly it was almost painful, but after that it became easier to bring air in and out.
I realized my eyes were closed and I slowly opened them. I saw where I was, remembered what had happened and earlier, and saw Aaron in kneeling in front of me. His gorgeous grey eyes were filled with worry, and his hands were in my hair, moving back and forth slowly, massaging my head.
     "Aaron?" I squeaked, ashamed of how my voice sounded.
      "Yeah?" he asked quietly, cupping my face, running a thumb over my cheek.
"I..." I said, trying to explain what just happened. "I..."
I started crying again. I was scared. I was scared of my dream. I was scared of my dad. I was scared of what Aaron was thinking of me right now. I was scared to be alive.
"Shhh," Aaron said, sitting down next to me and pulling me into his warm chest. "It's okay Dal." He wrapped a hand around my waist, which was now bare. I'd lost his coat somewhere. His other hand went back to my hair, entangling his fingers in it.
"You don't have to explain the dreams to me," he whispered. "I have them too. I know what it's like."
I nodded against his chest.
     He laid now, bringing me with him. I laid on top of him, all the way on top of him. He rested his warm hand at the base of my neck. "Try and go back to sleep," he said. "I'll be right here. Okay?"
     I nodded again. "Thank you Aar," I murmured into his neck.
      "Of course Dal," he whispered, his breath brushing my ear. He stroked the back of my neck. I felt him press his lips to my head. And all I could think about as I drifted off was how good it felt to have him kiss me again.