Chp. 2 (Aaron)

I couldn't sleep. Which made me mad. Cause I needed sleep. I did too much to not sleep. And then I couldn't sleep even more cause I was mad.
I got up and got a glass of water, running my hand through my curly black hair. I sat back down. I stood up. I walked back and forth, as much as I could anyway. Finally I just decided to take a walk. I pulled on two sweaters, since Dal still had my coat, and walked out into the chilling night.
I was enjoying the beautiful, yet cold night. My breath glowed in the moonlight, and there was a beautiful silence.
And then there wasn't. I heard an angry grunt coming from somewhere not too far off. At first a thought it was an animal, but then I heard it again. And it was definitely human.
I slowly walked towards it, and saw Dal sitting on a stump in the moonlight. His curly auburn hair sparkled. I watched as he raised a beer bottle to his mouth, and saw the empty one sitting at his feet. He was muttering under his breath.
"Dal," I said, stepping out from behind the tree that had been my hiding place.
He looked up. I could tell he was drunk, and shirtless. He had my coat on, but it was unzipped, and there was no shirt under it.
"Hi Aaron," he said, his words slurring.
"Hey Dal," I said, carefully walking over to him. "What's going on?"
"Oh, you know," he said, laughing bitterly, "the usual. Regular beating and shit."
"Yeah..?" I asked, wanting desperately to help him, but not sure how.
"'Fucking fag Dal'", he said, imitating his dad. "'I didn't raise no goddamn bitch. Be a fucking man, she's right there! She's ready! Go on, fuck her. Fuck her and let me watch. Go on! You fucking bitch!!!! JUST DO IT!'"
I sat there in silence. I don't know why I was so bad at helping him. I was abused for fucks sake, I have friends who have been. I should be better at this! He needed me.
"That's not okay Dal," I whispered, carefully slipping my hand under the hem of his coat. He didn't move away, but instead moved into my touch, so I flattened my plan against his freezing back. "He awful. He's so awful."
I felt him shake. I pulled my hand away and it came out wet with blood.
"You're bleeding..." I said quietly.
"I know," Dal said angrily. "He always makes me bleed." He paused. I could feel him start to shake again. "He," his voice cracked. "Always..."
He started sobbing. A violent, painful kind of sobbing. He doubled over and grabbed at his chest.
I suddenly knew what to do. I pulled him against my chest. I pressed my mouth to his ear.
"I know," I said, as he continued to sob. I stroked his hair. "I know." Tears slid down my cheeks.
Eventually he stopped sobbing. All I wanted to do was hold him, hold him and love him like he deserved to be.
He was whimpering in my arms.
"I'm gonna take you back to my place okay?" I asked him gently, running my finger up and down his neck.
I lifted him up, his legs around his waist, and his arms around my neck.
    He buried his face in my neck. He was still breathing heavily, and his warm breath gave me goosebumps.
    I got back to my place without a problem. I closed and locked the door behind us.
     I very gently set him on my bed. He looked embarrassed, but tears were still rolling down his cheeks. I sat next him.
We stayed silent for awhile. And then he looked up at me. "Aar," he said quietly, using the affectionate nickname he had for me.
I know he was gonna say how he should go back, how he shouldn't be here, how he was sorry, but I didn't let him.
"I'm not letting you go back Dal," I said. "I'm not."
Dal looked down and clenched his fists. His breath hitched. "I don't want you to," he murmured. "I have to though."
"No," I said quietly, my hand grazing over his. "No, you don't."
I stood up and his eyes followed me as I went to get another blanket.
"Sleep," I told him softly. I reached down and wiped some tears off his face with my thumbs. I desperately wanted to crawl into bed with him, but I knew I shouldn't do that. So I walked over to a chair and pulled the blanket around me. "It's okay Dal. Just get some sleep."
He laid down, his eyes never leaving me. "Aar..." he said.
"I know Dal," I said. "I understand. It's gonna be okay. It will."