Chapter 2: Lost and Found

I heard the hydraulics starting to move in the door and I backed up a bit. It opened up and I felt a soft rush of air cover my face. When I opened my eyes, I saw Captain Keyes looking into them.

    "Come in." he asked, in complete monotone. Although his words were welcoming, his voice was not.

    He turned around and I followed him to the bridge, where a female AI with short hair was on the main console.

    "You know Marine, I'm very sorry to find out about what happened to your brother." he said.

    I was speechless. I saw him a few moments ago, nothing happened to him. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.

    "I understand you are still in shock from what that Elite did to him. Energy Swords can be used to the most brutal ways sometimes."

    I raised both eyebrows, as to question him, but it didn't pass of that way.

    "I'm upsetting you now, aren't I? Well, we can speak abou-"

    "HE ISN'T DEAD!!!!" I blurted out.

    "...what?"

    "I saw him a few moments ago. He boarded this ship with me. I saw him run up the stairs! He isn't dead!"

    He sat silent for a moment, before the AI spoke up.

    "I'm sorry, his profile on our database is marked KIA. If you bring him up here for proof, we can get it officially changed."

    "Yes ma'am."

    "No, call me Cortana."

    "Thank you, Cortana."