Chp. 1 (Aaron)

It had been a long day. A really long day. Classes had been hell, and then work, and then I missed the bus and had to wait another hour for the next one. And then I had to walk home. It was cold. I was freezing, as I walked through the misting woods and into the clearing where I, among many others, lived, I could see my breath in the air.
     As I was walking I saw Dal, sitting on the steps of his mobile home, no coat on, just a t-shirt. His knees were pulled to his chest, and he was obviously freezing.
     "Hey Dal," I said quietly, sitting next to him.
     "Hi," he said, his voice shaking.
     I took off my coat and wrapped it around his shoulders, squeezing them before letting go.
     He slowly lifted a hand and started pulling the coat off. "Aaron, I-"
    "Dal," I said. "No. You can give it back to me later. It's okay."
     I watched him bite his gorgeous pink lips.
     I could hear his dad inside. A rhythmic thumping was coming from inside, and I knew his dad had probably brought home another prostitute, spending money on her that could be better spent on food or new clothes for Dal. 
    I watched Dal look back at the trailer, then at me. His eyes grew hard.
     "Dal..."
     "You can't do anything Aaron," he said. "You can't."
       "You wanna come over to my place for a little while?" I asked him, pulling the coat further around him.
      "No," he said looking down. "That'll only make it worse."
    "Okay," I said, gently pushing a lock of his light brown hair behind his ear. "You deserve better Dal. You really do."
     I could swear I saw a tear fall from his eye as I walked away.