10) Flattery Gets You Nowhere

I was on the couch rummaging through a box of pictures of my parents. It was my favorite pastime for as long as I can remember. These were the only pieces of them I knew. Old family photos and news articles about their disappearance. All I wanted was to know them.

There was a knock on the door. I pushed my box under the couch and jumped up. Eric had come to see me.

"Well this is a nice surprise. Did you close the bar early?"

"No I left early. Pam is still there keeping everything going."

"You left your business for me?" I teased stepping aside so he could come in. "I'm flattered."

"Well we're lovers I can't resist you." I blushed immediately.

"I think we should talk about some things," Eric said pulling me down to sit next to him.

"Fine let's talk."

"You shouldn't have told Gertrude that we were together."

"I know. It was wrong but I couldn't stand her lying. She thinks that I'm so scared of her but I'm not, Eric."

"I understand you're tough. But remember she's a vampire. She is dangerous and you should be scared, human."

"So you think that she'd hurt me because of you? You're really that full of yourself."

Eric's laugh filled my living room. I smiled immediately in response. His happiness was infectious but he hardly laughed with anyone. Eric was always holding something back from me but over time we had broken down some of each other's walls. Despite everything I had gone through and how much I tried to fight it I was letting him in. Charles had left me broken and with serious vampire trust issues. Eric had promised he'd protect me. He wouldn't hurt me like Charles did. It might be hard for me to admit it but around him I could be happy again. If I just let it happen.

"I think today was proof that Gertrude is infatuated with me," Eric chuckled, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Did you know that before I tried to start a war with her today?"

"Sure. We did sort of have a thing together."

"A thing?" I could hear the jealousy in my voice. Apparently, Eric heard it two because his grin grew wider and he spoke again.

"Yeah sure we screwed a few times, but don't worry I imagine it'd be much better with you," he smirked. "You know you didn't have to face off with Gertrude yourself. Even if you aren't scared, or if you want some leverage over her. If she ever tried to do anything to you I expect you'd come to me. I'd take care of her."

"No, Eric. Telling her that we're imaginary lovers wasn't a power struggle thing," I laughed nervously. I stopped and looked at him. If I continue there's no going back.

"Then what was it?" I was so tired of trying to fight my feelings for him. All I wanted was to feel happy. I hadn't felt happy my entire life. There was something about Eric Northman that made me want to try.

"I don't want you to imagine being with me, Eric," I breathed. "Be with me. I want you." There was no hesitation. He pulled me closer, instantly, and his mouth found mine. I wrapped my legs around his waist as he carried me to the bedroom clutching my thighs. Now I wouldn't have to lie to Gertrude about my lover.