9) My Big Mouth

I was pleased to realize that Gertrude wasn't following me. It was a victorious feeling knowing that I had gotten to her. She had everything to hold against me. She was gorgeous and talented but she was also a walking weapon. Gertrude watched me intently, leaning against a wall, while I walked toward Eric.

The surge of power rushing through me kept me walking towards him. What the hell would I say when I got up to him? There was so many options.

I could start off real cool: "Hey, Eric, in case you're wondering I did not try to kiss you the other day."

I could be apologetic: "I know you told me to stay under your protection the other night but I'm sorry I can't be following you around all day, I got a life to live, buddy!"

I didn't get far with any other ideas because my feet still carried me forward and Eric had finally seen me moving his way. Instantly, my mouth curved upward into a bright smile. It's a nervous habit and I was practically shaking in my boots. I was fully aware that Gertrude was still staring at me from the back and I was looking Eric straight in the face. His eyes grew wide when he saw me and then I saw the anger fill his face. I was so glad he was facing away from Gertrude.

"Hey, Eric," I began, still smiling like an idiot.

"Are you incapable of following direction?" he spat.

"No? Yes? I don't know. What's the right answer?"

He sneered. "I told you to stay under my supervision."

"What would be the point in staying over with you sleeping during the day?"

"You know I have daytime protection." Because we were in his establishment he had kept his voice low and leveled. His business was like his child. He was always professional. But I started to hear his voice rise. I couldn't let Gertrude find out that Eric and I weren't as close as I had made us out to be.

"Please don't yell at me."

"I will do whatever the hell I want!" he hissed.

"I told Gertrude that we spent the night together!" I blurted out. I was horrified. My hand rose up to cover my treacherous mouth. I watched as Eric's face softened until he looked amused.

"Why would you do that?"

"She said that she was with you throughout the night... I just couldn't stand her lying. Of course WE know that I was with you," I blushed at my rambling nonsense.

"Is that so?" He smirked.

"I mean- I didn't- I wasn't trying to imply that something between us happened. I would never. I was just hoping you wouldn't yell so that..." I sighed, completely defeated. "I would appreciate you not yelling so she thinks that we're... on good terms."

I was just like every dumb fang banger. There I was begging Eric to help me out and wishing he'd show me mercy.

"So if she asks?" Eric started, raising his eyebrow.

"I'd appreciate you going along with it."

"So I should tell her that we spent all night together?"

"... I guess," I shifted uncomfortably.

"Should I explain how you gave yourself to me completely? And that after we ravaged each other's body we laid in each other's arms."

"No!" I exclaimed. "That's more than enough! I just needed a confirmation."

"You used me and now I can't have a little fun?" He scoffed. "Fine I won't say anything but she's still taking over your shift." He waved her over.

"I'm capable of doing my job!" Gertrude stood next to me. She was curious to know why he was still asking me to leave. She made me nauseous.

"Yes, Mr. Northman?" She asked in a smooth voice.

You still have this shift, she'll be leaving now."

"Of course," she beamed.

"I'm staying," I protested.

"No, lover, you need to get some rest," he grinned. "Unless you want to stay here and listen to me recall our whole night full of passion."

I was halfway to the door before he finished his sentence.