Chapter 39

Ethan had brought us to their witch doctor, who had experimented with natural and modern medicinal practices. He treated me while I stayed by Luke's side, almost a week now. Ethan was the son of an Alpha from a pack that bordered Victor. They had always had good relations and after news had arrived that the Lord had been named, they came to help. Of course they had had to take precautions to make sure it wasn't another fake. In the end, Ethan's father, Alpha Joseph, pledged his loyalty to us. This of course had a chain reaction, several other packs nearby voiced their pledge to me. And slowly but surely hope began to bloom in everyone's hearts once again.

***Luke's POV***

"Magic is a double edged sword. You must respect it and those who grant you their power. The world has a delicate balance of light and dark, keep it that way."

"But what does yoga have to do with magic? It's so stup-" Smack! I blinked the stars out of my vision and rubbed the back of my head.

"Hush!" Mom snapped before sighing with a smile. "This is not yoga, it's Tai Chi. And it's not stupid." We finished our session for the day and went our separate ways. Dad was gone again on who knows what rampage, so Mom had to take care of the pack.

"And the yoga master returns! Tell me, can you do the splits now?" Tony snickered, ruffling my hair.

"Shut up." I shoved him away and muttered under my breath as we walked by the forest line. A small branch dropped, bouncing off Tony's head. He swore and held his head in his hands. The moment I took off running he knew it was me.

"Oh you think that's funny?!" He yelled with laughter in his voice before chasing me. I shifted and bolted deeper into the forest, knowing full well that the sun was settling, giving me a better chance to hide.

Respect those who grant you their power.

"Lucas." I skidded to a halt, panting, breaking the silence of the evening. My ears perked up while my nose scented their air. I could swear I heard someone calling me.

"Tony?" I called out. Nothing.... "Hey it's not funny, come out!"

"Lucas." It was a soft murmur, almost as if it were just in my head. Ugh this is gonna sound stupid...

"Who's there?" I felt like the potential victim of a slasher film. I sat in the middle of the clearing just listening for any signs of life, but there was none. Apart from being a witch, magical powers and all, Mom was born with the gift of being able to see and communicate with spirits. Since I inherited her magic, she also warned me about the other gift. That was the reason she had me learning Tai Chi and meditating and such. For it to be easier for me to open up and connect with higher vibrations as she called it. If this was the case, I had to calm myself.

"Lucas." I heard it again, it was distinctly male. I closed my eyes, feeling the pressure gather in the center of my forehead.

"Yes?"

"Be cautious and aware." He replied. "You must learn quickly so you must focus. Take pride in your gift. We don't just pick anybody." He sounded like my mother, but remembering the sore spot on my head, I simply nodded.

"Who are you?" After all her efforts, it would be great to show Mom it was all paying off.

"A good friend."

"Can I know your name?" The longer we talked, the stronger the connection became. His presence felt cool, light, and pure.

"With time." I frowned, trying to focus and create an image. Maybe if I could describe him to Mom, she might know who he is. "I'm afraid not. There are many a spirit, and she hasn't enough time to meet us all." I let out a slow disappointed sigh. I won't lie, excitement had gotten the best of me. I had long learned how to decently control my magic, but this was a whole different level.