Chapter 8

"There have been more attacks in the daytime. These aren't the results of hunts though, it's clear they're sending messages and testing waters. Not just wolves, which make up the majority of the Nightwalker population here, but vampires, goblins, and witches have started showing up as well." Evelyn showed a map of the city on the projector in the chapel.

"It's weird for wolves and vampires to be in such close quarters like this. They've been at peace for a while, but they still kept their distance from each other." Thomas frowned rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"Teams across the country are also noticing a strange divide among the wolves. Some blending with other species, some keeping to themselves and heavily guarding their territories." Evelyn clicked to the next picture, a map of the country. Some areas were shaded red, California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Maine, Montana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and a few other states.

"Is there a Civil dispute among them? War?" Andrea narrowed her eyes at the screen.

"We believe so, judging by their actions, but we don't know the cause behind it. Has anyone heard anything while out on patrols? A name? A specific thing you've heard a few times? Anything?" She tried not to look anxious, but I could feel it. When her eyes landed on me my blood turned cold. "I need to know. This coming war could put hundreds of thousands of lives in danger." Luke glared at the screen holding his tongue.

"A...Alex." I blurted out. "Daniel asked me if I knew where an Alex was after I-"

"Alex? That's all you have? Everyone's always been looking for Alex." Thomas laughed wryly, clasping his hands behind his head.

"It's more than you have." I spat back at him. "They asked me who's pack I was from, and not knowing what else to say I told them my last name. Then they started asking where this Alex guy was."

"And your last name is..." Andrea turned to me with a distrustful expression.

"Albescu." Luke finished, looking right at Evelyn.

"Albescu..." She nodded slowly before laughing, the kind of laugh someone lefts out when they are about to cut someone. "Albescu? As in the former Lord?" She asked me.

"Lord?" I sat staring blankly.

"Well, former Lord of the wolves, as of about 20  years ago or so?"

"What about him?" I was still unable to connect the dots.

"What's your father's name Fay?" Andrea asked growing more and more angry.

"I don't know..." Are they really implying that this Alex character is my dad?! "Guys you really can't think the guy they're looking for is my dad!"

"There's no one else alive with that last name. Except for Alexander, assuming he is still alive..." Thomas didn't look at me.

"I've never even met the guy! How in the hell am I supposed to know where he's at? I know he'll probably end up in hell but that's about it." I crossed my arms glaring at the screen.

"Why wasn't I informed of this earlier?" Evelyn's hands rested on her hips as her burning eyes drifted from Luke to me.

"I..." I didn't really have an excuse other than Luke just not saying anything.

"I wanted to be sure before we started pinning names. Everyone seemed to see the Albescu in her and when she shifted the last time, I was sure." Luke explained. He's still not telling the whole truth is he?

"Nevertheless, Fay, we're going to need to find your father." Evelyn pursed her lips, those grey orbs of hers were trying to read my thoughts as if I knew something.