Chapter 23

Despite still being the talk of the entire school, the stares that Skye and Ruby received started to tone down as new gossip began spreading throughout the school. It made Ruby feel a lot better since she hated when people stared at her, Skye was unfortunately used to it and learned to just ignore it, Ruby wasn’t able to ignore it real well though. They were just walking up towards the school’s entrance when Jack caught up with them slightly breathless, “Hey guys, I have a really important question.” Both girls turned to him and gave him their attention. “Have either of you seen Isabel?? We haven’t been able to find her all morning and I thought I’d ask you two before dad went to the police station.”

          Instantly both girls tensed up but it was Ruby who spoke first, “When did anyone last see her??” Jack thought for a moment, “Um I heard her come home last night and I haven’t seen her since.” Ruby began worrying as she tried to think of where her sister could have gone, but Isabel hardly ever went anywhere. She spent all her time at home and lately with her and Skye but she never went off on her own, especially without telling anyone. Without thinking Ruby instantly called Isabel’s cell only to be disappointed with no answer. “This isn’t like her…she wouldn’t leave on her own without saying anything! That’s what I do!!” Skye and Jack both cracked a bit of a smile at that but it didn’t stay long as the worry for their lost girl began to grow. “Alright, I have a plan.” Surprised all eyes were on Ruby as she held a finger to her chin in contemplation, “Jack, ask around school and if that doesn’t work go back home, Skye drive back heading home and see if you can spot her anywhere on your way, I’ll go on foot and run down the longer way to our house so we cover more ground. Okay?” they both nodded and all three went off in their own separate directions.

          Ruby opened up her phone again and double checked to see if she had any messages but found none. Growing frustrated Ruby began running down the street calling Isabel’s name ever so often in a desperate attempt to find her best friend. Skye drove down the streets inadvertently irritating other drivers at her slow driving as she tried to spot the young girl only to find nothing. After desperately checking the library and all of Isabel’s classes a dejected Jack began heading back home when a thought entered his mind that was completely opposite of his current worry. “Wouldn’t now be a good time to do what mother wants?” conflicting emotions passed through the young boy’s head and eventually he shook his head no. “No…not while Isabel is lost…I’ll just find some other way to get what needs to be done done.”

With his decision made Jack ran back home to see Milo and Vivian outside talking with a police officer. The man was defiantly intimidating and Jack couldn’t help but feel insignificant in his presence. “Isn’t what I’m supposed to do illegal? It definitely feels wrong to me…so does it make it bad? Mother wouldn’t think so…she thinks it’s helping us…but I can’t shake this feeling of wrongness…and if it is bad, will this man find me or my mother and take us away from each other forever? She needs me…I’m all she has…”

The young boy was so lost in his thoughts he hadn’t realized the officer was trying to speak with him. Fingers snapping inches away from his face finally brought Jack out of his mind making him look up at the officer, “Um yes?” Jack tried his hardest to appear calm and collected outside but inside he was a shivering mess. “Son, I just want to ask you when the last time you saw your sister and what she was doing.” Jack nodded, “Um…I saw her yesterday afternoon. She was asking if I wanted to join her in visiting her friend. Then I heard her come home last night and that’s all.” The officer wrote down notes in his notepad for a second before asking another question, “Who did she go visit?” Jack’s eyes darted over to his parents before he looked at the ground, “Um…she went and saw our sister who ran away, Ruby.”