(6) Blurred Lines

My father had been on his best behavior ever since the night he had been caught red-handed. Too bad I wasn’t sure how long he could last this time. Samina and Gia had been spending more and more time over at our house and even staying the night a few nights a week.

Being around Gia left me feeling unstable; unsure of my actions. I wasn’t okay with that. Because of this, and the glaringly obvious sexual tension, I did my best to stay out of the house. I would leave early for school and return late around midnight every night as to avoid any complications or conflict.

I hadn’t anticipated leaving Peyton’s house so early tonight, I was just exhausted and wanted nothing more to be in my bed. As I was walking up the front steps I caught sight of what appeared to be Gia. She had a blanket wrapped around her and her long brown hair was cascading over her back. She was staring up into the sky as I approached.

“What are you doing out here?” I asked, softly, not wanting to draw any attention to our conversation by waking anyone.

She sighed loudly, running her fingers through her long hair. “I’m getting fresh air.”

There was no mistaking that something was bothering her. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing Jace, I’m fine.” Gia brushed me off.

But I couldn’t let it go that easily. “Is it Frank? Did he do something?” My heart began racing as I took my backpack off, and sat down next to her.

She grimaced, looking out at the sky again. “It’s nothing…it was probably my fault anyway.”

“Gia, if you don’t tell me what the hell happened tonight I’m going to barge in there and beat the shit out of that bastard until he confesses. It won’t be pretty. So I would suggest you be honest with me right now.”  I couldn’t help it…I was fuming.

“He made a pass at me…” Gia said so softly I had to strain to hear every word.

“That son of a bitch…I’m going to—“

“No! You can’t. Promise me,” her watery eyes were pleading with me. “He’s not the first one and he definitely won’t be the last. No need to feel sorry for me.” She paused, taking a breath. “I have not seen my mother this happy in years. I can’t ruin everything for her,” she sighed. “Plus, it was probably just the alcohol talking.”

“What?” I barked, unintentionally.

“I saw him downstairs with a bottle of Don Juan.”

“That’s it,” I said angrily, jumping to my feet. “I’m going to kill him.”

“Jace, please!” Again, she pleaded with me. “I’m begging you.”

“This isn’t going to be the last of it Gia, you and your mother are not safe.”

“I know you won’t let anything happen to me,” she said nonchalantly.

“How do you suppose that?”

“The way you looked at me the first time we met.”

Unfortunately for me, she was right…

“I have a girlfriend,” I stated the obvious.

“And I don’t want to come between the two of you…although I feel like I might already have.” Gia sighed, her body trembling with the exhale of air.

I rubbed her back softly, without stopping to think about my action. “Are you okay?”

“It’s always the same…” she said, a bitter tone resonating off her syllables.