(5) Hurricane Drunk

Before I had  thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Now I was positive of it. My father had suspiciously been on his best behavior for the past few weeks; staying unusually sober. I hadn’t stopped locking my five deadbolts at night, but there had definitely been a shift. Was it a miracle? No. Was it Samina? I wasn’t sure. But I was keeping a close eye on my father anticipating a slip-up.

My father had been splitting his time between his new girlfriend’s residence and ours. My house was finally beginning to feel just like that; my house. A place I could come and go as I pleased. A place I could feel safe. I never let my guard down though.

Samina had mentioned her daughter Gia a few times when she was over and finally had decided it was time for us all to meet. Samina planned to cook for us all over at our house. Apparently I had been the topic of conversation in her household and Gia had been asking to meet me.

“Do you need any help with anything?” I approached Samina in the kitchen.

“Oh no Jace, I have everything handled here, but if you could set the table, that would be wonderful.” She smiled warmly at me.

“It smells great!” I leaned over her shoulder attempting to catch a glance of what she was preparing. “What is it?”

“It’s an old family recipe. Now go set the table, Gia should be here any moment.”

“Yes ma’am,” I replied, opening up the cupboards and pulling out a stack of plates.

No more than twenty minutes later the doorbell rang. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting when I opened the door—but her luxurious long dark hair and big chocolate eyes held me captive for a moment too long. She couldn’t have been taller than 5’1, but her beauty threw me off my game.

“You must be Jace.” She smiled warmly at me, so many identical characteristics to her mother.

I nodded, swallowing deeply. “Gia?”

She chuckled looking down. “Did I come at a bad time?”

“No…no…everything is fine. Come on in.” I scooted over so she could enter.

She glanced around, taking everything in. “Nice place.”

“Thanks,” I replied, rubbing my hand over my short hair.

“Gia, is that you sweetie?” Samina called from the kitchen.

“Si Madre.” Gia turned to me. “Hablas Espanol?”

I pinched my fingers closely together. “Un poquito.”

Her smile spread across her lips wider. “I think we are going to get along just fine.”

I couldn’t help returning her grin. “Come on.” I cocked my head towards the kitchen, then began leading Gia further inside my house.

I watched as Gia made her way straight to Samina and they embraced each other quickly. In those brief, short seconds I felt more love than I had ever known in my entire life. Frank had stopped acknowledging my presence in the past year and only recently decided I exist. I couldn’t remember the last time he had hugged me because he wanted to show me he cared about me, that he loved me.

“Go sit down Mija.” Samina leaned down to kiss Gia’s head. “Jace, can you tell your father the food is ready?”

My eyes darted into the living room, where audible TV sounds had been coming from. I knew my father was in there seated in his recliner.

I made my way to the living room, towards the loud noise. “Oh you mother fucker,” I mumbled under my breath as I raced towards my father’s limp body hunched over the side of the recliner. One hand was still gripping tightly to a bottle of whiskey.