(1) The Pros and Cons of Breathing

My reflexes had never been sharper. My heart was racing a mile a minute. I gulped loudly then glanced back at the wall which had just been assaulted by our former toaster. In fact, the wall may have lost, judging by the gaping hole staring back at me.

He was drunk again. Not surprising. What was surprising is that he hadn’t drank himself to oblivion yet—and was still conscious. Normally I could slip out unnoticed in the mornings. The nights were more challenging. After Jax passed away my father went full on looney toons. Ape shit. Lost his job and everything else. Now, he simply spends his days drowning his sorrows in a bottle of Jack and blaming me for his troubles. It doesn’t help that I am the identical resemblance to the son he lost. I get punished almost daily for it.

“You worthless piece of shit,” he snarled at me, slurring his words. That was his favorite insult, other than the obvious, ‘why wasn’t it you’ bit.

“It’s not even 7:00 am Frank, you should be waking up right now—job hunting. But what are you doing? Wasting away as usual. This needs to stop, be the parent for once.” I knew the truth would get my ass kicked from my house to Japan, but I was sick and tired of his reckless abandon.

“You better watch it boy!” Frank threatened, his finger pointed in the air at me.

“Go fuck yourself,” I said, nearly under my breath and then turned to walk away from the sorry excuse of a father.

I heard his barreling footsteps before I had a chance to react. He tackled me, taking me to the ground roughly. My face was being smashed into the hardwood floor violently

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of a struggle, I threw his heavy frame off of me and managed to jump to my feet.

“I have to go to school,” I muttered under my breath and then grabbed my backpack off the table and booked it out of there.

I ran as fast as I could out the front door and didn’t stop until I was nearly a mile away. I stopped, gasping for air. Frank would have never made it this far—he was much too lazy for that. But it didn’t stop me from running like hell.

I winced realizing just how sore I was from his tackle.

I glanced at my watch. 7:05.

Shit.  

I was supposed to have picked up Peyton at 6:45 am. It was our usual routine nowadays. She was probably already panicking on the inside, imagining all the reasons I was late and hadn’t called yet.

We had been doing really well the past couple of months. Definitely stuck in the honeymoon phase. But her insecurities still reared their heads from time to time. It was becoming less often though, so that was a plus.

I pulled my phone from out of my back pocked and noticed two texts from my girlfriend.

Hey, did you sleep through your alarm? Sent at 6:55 am.

I quickly read the second one which had been sent less than a minute ago. Should I ask Jen for a ride to school?

I dialed her number without any further hesitation. It was no surprise she picked up on the first ring.

“Are you okay? Where are you?” She sounded worried.

“I’m fine, I accidentally snoozed my alarm,” I lied.

I could practically hear her exhaling loudly with relief.

It’s not that I wanted to lie to her—or even that it was the right thing to do. But I cared about Peyton more than anyone in the world and I planned to protect her no matter what it took.

“Are you going to be here soon?” Peyton asked, bringing me back to reality.

I can’t believe I missed it.

I was too busy running for my life, I left my car parked in my driveway. Peyton was going to be majorly suspicious if I showed up on foot without any excuse.

“Babe, I need to tell you something…” I began.

Suddenly, the silence was deafening, as if she was holding her breath.

“My car didn’t start this morning.” Lie number two. “Do you think Jen could give us both a ride?”

Again I heard a sigh of relief.

I could have sworn I heard a chuckle too. “Of course. Let me call her right now. Head over.”

“I’m already on my way, see you soon.” I hung up the phone and began walking in the directions of Peyton’s house. Because I had ran so quick and aimlessly I was off course, but I corrected quickly. It wouldn’t be more than ten minutes.

When I first met her, she enchanted me…but Jax was right when he said she wasn’t my normal type. In a way, that deepened my feelings for her. I needed a change—a break from the mundane. She was that and more for me.

But I stressed about what my peers would think, how they would treat her and it kept me from being honest with myself.

Peyton changed everything for me. She was what kept me sane. She was my passion.

I hated lying to her—but I loved her so much, it ached in my bones. She was fragile, I planned to handle her with the upmost care. She brought life back into me. Peyton was everything.

******************************************************************************

“Are you trying to kill me?” Peyton whined obnoxiously.

“No…it’s a compromise,” I replied, turning off the engine.

She would have never agreed to it had I told her the truth, so I may have embellished just a bit.

“Football?” The disdain in her voice was more than apparent.

“What’s your favorite thing to do?”

“Definitely not watch football!” She exclaimed.

“Just humor me.”

“Spend time with you.” She wasted no time debating on an answer.

“Now ask me the same question.”

She giggled before complying. “What’s your favorite thing to do?”

“Hang out with you. Ask me what my second favorite thing to do is,” I ordered.

“What is it?” She gave in.

“Watching football. So make me a deal, come with me to something you don’t necessarily enjoy and I will return the favor."

A smile spread across her lips like wildfire as she finally exited the car and I followed suit.

“The ballet,” she said as she closed the distance between us.

“What about it?”

“That’s my compromise,” she replied, stone faced.

She had to be kidding.

She was kidding…right?

*Please remember to vote if you are enjoying Jace's story*

A/N -

Okay Guys. Here it is, finally, as promised. I am sorry about the short chapter but I am a big believer in writing until it doesn't feel right anymore. Basically it felt like it should end there, so it did.

I can already tell just by the first chapter that there is going to be a LOT of drama and tears in this one. I am sorry in advance. Thank you to everyone who supported POM and wanted to continue on with Jace's story. Thank you very much. It means a lot.

I will be trying to update this on a bi-weekly basis at the least...but it will probably be more like a weekly update. :)

Don't forget if you're not doing what you love, you're not really living.

<3 Krista