c h a p t e r // f i f t e e n

"so i'm broke" i say into the phone.

phil laughs, the phone distorting the sound a bit.

"like can't buy food broke or can't take me on a date broke?" he asks.

"neither, actually" i reply. "but this date might be a little unconventional."

"i'm definitely on board for that" phil says, and i can hear the smile in his voice.

"it's a surprise, though" i say. "i'll be at your flat at noon on saturday, does that work?"

"sure, but dan, what do i wear?" he asks, sounding almost distressed.

"good shoes for walking" i say. "see you then!"

"daaan" phil whines, but then he laughs. "you realise what you're doing to me, right?"

"yep!" i say cheerily, and then i end the call.

i already feel like i know him so well.

i think he knows me the same.

o.o.o

"last time we tried physical activity, it didn't work out well" phil says when he answers the door.

"hi, phil, how are you today?" i say, and he grins sheepishly.

"i do that a lot" he says. "who needs small talk, i've got things to say!"

"i think it's cute" i tell him.

"you're so confident today, i love it" he says. "so, am i dressed fine then?" he holds out his arms.

"perfect" i say. "come on." i offer my hand, and he takes it in his.

and then we're off.

o.o.o

"alright, we're here" i say.

phil looks at me, confusion written all over his face.

"the side of a pub" he says. "not in the pub, no, but down a shifty side alley."

"turn around" i say.

he does.

his whole face lights up with a grin.

"how did you know about this?" he asks, amazement in his voice.

"the internet" i say. "we're gonna go and see a tonne more, too." i look past him, at the mural on the wall opposite the pub's wall. the sunset painted there, in beautiful oranges and yellows and pinks.

"this is amazing" pihl says. "why didn't i think of this?" he slings an arm around my waist, and hugs me as i lean into him.

"i'm pretty proud of myself" i say softly. phil laughs.

"i'm proud of you too" he says.

we stand like that for a long time.

o.o.o

"it's us" phil says, looking at the picture drawn on the side of a tesco.

"neither of us is blond" i point out. phil nudges me with his shoulder, laughing.

"that's not the point" he says. "it's the way they look at each other."

my eyes trace over the art. two men, young. in each other's arms, one looking down at the other. they look so familiar to each other, they're looking at each other like they never want to look anywhere else.

"i look at you like that" phil says softly.

i look away from the drawing to see him looking at me.

like he never wants to look anywhere else.

o.o.o

we stay out until the sun sets, and stop to grab food from tesco. we eat it in his kitchen, talking about everything and nothing. i don't want to leave. but i do anyway. after promising another date next week.

after a goodnight kiss.

after i'm sure i'm in love.