c h a p t e r // f o u r t e e n

phil: THIS WEEKEND. FILM. WHAT TIME IS GOOD.

dan: why so aggressive? also yes. any time i have no life.

phil: I NEED A NEW PHONE. PICK YOU UP AT 7 ON SATURDAY.

o.o.o

"so my caps lock is stuck in the on position" phil says, by way of greeting. he pulls his mobile out and shows it to me. its an old model, the kind with a slide-out keyboard.

"you definitely had an iphone last week" i say.

"broke it" phil replies, looking sheepish. "it kinda fell off a bus."

"i want to ask, but i don't think i'm going to" i say.

"please don't, you'll realise i'm useless" phil says. "but i'm stuck with my old brick till i can save for a new one."

"we could watch a film here" i say. "to save money. if you want."

"nah, i've already got tickets" he says. "don't worry, they were pretty cheap. it's good to see you, dan."

he holds out a hand. i take it, and he leads me out of my flat.

"it's good to see you too, phil."

we hold hands all the way to the cinema.

o.o.o

"popcorn?" phil asks, as we stare at the snack offerings in front of us.

"you're trying to save money" i remind him.

"popcorn is not going to set me back that much" phil says, grinning. "even cinema popcorn. now should i get the big size or the really big size?"

"the really big size, obviously" i reply, grinning back. phil laughs, pulling me with him to the concession stand.

we get the really big size.

o.o.o

"i have to tell you now, i picked this film at random" phil says. "just so you know my taste isn't actually this terrible."

"no, this is hilarious!" i reply. "comedic genius."

i grab a handful of popcorn from the bucket on phil's lap.

"i think it's supposed to be serious" phil whispers.

i look at the screen, and then at phil, as realisation dawns.

"i think you might be right" i whisper back. phil takes one look at the horror on my face and starts laughing hysterically. that gets me started, and then we're both laughing loudly in a nearly empty cinema.

still, the man three rows in front of us turns around and shushes us.

o.o.o

"i think the pterodactyl was a metaphor for drug abuse" phil says. "think about it, ethan was definitely an addict."

"i think the pterodactyl was just a pterodactyl" i reply. seriously, nobody put any thought into this film."

"but get this, see, at first it's fun, having a pet pterodactyl, but then it gets bigger, and gets out of hand, and kills your friends and family" phil explains, gesturing wildly with the hand that isn't in mine.

"are you suggesting meth is going to eat my father as i look on in horror?" i ask.

"not if you're not a meth addict, no" phil replies. "but you can't say it doesn't fit."

"f course it fits, you made it fit" i say. "but i really don't think the director was going for hard-hitting social commentary."

"so you think" he says. "we'll probably never know for sure."

"sad" i say, managing to keep a straight face for a whole ten seconds, before grinning.

"you're hopeless" phil says, but he slings an arm around my shoulders and pulls me close. we walk like that for the rest of the way to my flat.

"see you next week?" i ask him.

"of course" he replies.

he kisses me goodnight.