Chapter 6

Ro Byrnes, 2012

I placed another black/plum rose into the crystal vase I took from mum's collection. I'd been putting a rose in the vase each day. There were eight there now. I sat on the grey leather chair and dragged it to Georgie's side.

I'd been coming every day, sitting right next to her for thirteen hours of each day. The time not with her I was at school revising for exams that were coming up in a few weeks, taking a shower in the hospitals loos, in the corridor waiting for the nurses to stop pissing about in her room or at the flower shop getting her another rose.

Her parents were there obviously and they only left the room if I was there to look after her and only leaving for dire things. Like showers and food.

Every moment I spent with her I did what she liked. Listening to her crap taste in music, sadly I'd nearly learnt all the words to 'pass out', sad but true. I've been reading all her favourite books to her, mostly vampires, werewolves and angels, but there were some classics and I'd surprised myself that I was really addicted to her favourite book 'fallen', I didn't really like all the supernatural shit but Luce reminded me of Georgie, strong and determined. That's how I know she's going to pull through this.

"Sweet heart." that was Georgie's mum, Jill. I looked up from Georgie's vacant body "I'm going for a shower. Matt's talking to one of the nurse, okay. I'll be back soon." she walked over to Georgie's body and kissed her forehead and ruffled my hair and left the room. I held Georgie’s hand. She always used to complain. No. She always complains how she felt like an ice queen compared to my warm hands. I smiled and pressed my lips to her cold fingers.

Nothing. That was what everyone got since she was here, since she hit the tarmac. At least she'd been breathing, mumbling in her sleep, but then she had some kind of fit and they had to put her on life support. The nurses said she was strong and would survive but it would take time. She wouldn't have even been in this mess if it wasn't for me. If I'd been there I'd have pulled her out of the way, yeah maybe I would have been hit but it would have been better than this...

I took her iPod off the side table and scrolled to 'Coldplay'. I put on 'Up with the Birds' humming along with it until it became more up-beat. I started singing quietly, to her.

""... have to go where they don't know my name

Throw out all of the world just to see her again..." I stroked her face that could have been sculpted out of marble, the smoothness and coldness of it. I hummed the rest of the song, remembering when I bought tickets for Georgie to see Coldplay for her last birthday, her sixteenth. Out of all the music she liked the only I agreed with was 'Coldplay'. It had cost me £120 to take her, but it was worth it. To see her in her 'Coldplay' t-shirt, her black shorts and high top converse laced up to her knees. We were belting our hearts out singing for shit. She was beautiful that night, her hair scrunched up into the emo-rocker look she's been trying to pull off, smiling the most shocking smile that made my stomach tie up in knots that I was even lucky enough to be friends with this girl, let alone best-friends, or possibly girlfriend. We danced like the psychos we are, her pumping her arm in the air her Morganville protection bracelet sparkling, catching the light, I'd got her that for her fifteenth and she hadn't taken it off since I put it on her left wrist. It had to be her left wrist, she said because it was closer to her heart than her right. She used to always come out with this type of sentimental bullshit. But now that I thought about it, it was beautiful and poetic. The concert had ended at midnight and we'd ended up at Travelodge, having only enough money to have one room. Her on the bed, me on the sofa.

Thinking back on it, Georgie and I were more than friends, even in a corny-American way siblings. We were going out with each other without knowing it. Hugging, the permanent contact, the hurt that would cross our faces if one said bad to the other. I loved her and I'd thought that it was only one way until I saw her face at the island. There was pure need and love in her eyes, and it made me falter. If I hadn't she'd be awake right now, talking to me nonstop, me near the end nearly telling her to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

"Roland." my head snapped up. The voice was croaky and dry, but it was Georgie's voice.

"Georgie? Georgie, baby are you awake?"

Silence. I waited, for five minutes. But still nothing. I alerted a nurse and the small fat one came in. She wasn't one of the nicer ones. She didn't understand that you were grieving for possibly the loss of a loved one. She was cold and slapped emotions away. You could see it on her face.

"She talked. She talked!" I started and once I had I couldn't stop. "I was sitting there thinking and she said Roland. She said my name. You know what this means? She's better, she's really really better. And she'll wake up and everything will be normal." I panted in breath and wiped tears I hadn't noticed had started to run down my face.

"Did she say anything else?" the woman asked more as if it was her job than she was concerned. I shook my head. "Well Roland you are most probably tired. The mind play games when tired or stressed. As you are both; is certainly you are imagining things. Go. sleep."

"I'm not leaving her!" I wasn't allowed to stay overnight so I woke up in the mornings and came straight here where I showered and stuff, saying goodbye before school.

"Fine. Use the other cot instead." the woman said sharply. She started for the door where Helen was looking in. The nurse was probably going to say I'd imagined her daughter’s recovery what help that would do. As she left the room she turned and pointed me to the spare cot. I walked over glumly and to be truthful a little tired and lay there looking at Georgie's still body. What if I had imagined it? I want Georgie more than the world. Right now more than ever, and to lose her... I wouldn't know what to do. The lady who hit Georgie died the other day, Catherin Parker. She, like Georgie had had multiple head injuries. Her daughter had come in after to see Georgie handing me a handful of flowers. She'd come in to see Georgie every other day and as she left saying she was sorry. Sorry for what? Her mother made a mistake that was all. No, it wasn't all because Georgie could die, and her mum had died.

Without knowing it my eyes closed and I fell into a long, dreamless sleep.

X Hope you liked it. I thought I needed a bit where we meet Ro. I wanted you all to know how sweet this boy is without being tainted by Georgie's love for him.

Hope you enjoyed it Xxx

Well it seems the clip hasn't come up, it was 'Up Wtih The Birds' by Coldplay so if you want to hear a truelly amazing song then type it into that very well knwon video site that rhymes with ruecube xX