Gibbets and Crows

Isengard is spread out before us, flooded with water. Orthanc tower is like an island, isolated in the middle of this brand new lake. As we emerge from the trees the sound of hysterical laughter reaches our ears and I search around for the source, my eyes settling upon a wall with two little hobbits perched on top, surrounded by food and each with a tankard in one hand and a pipe in the other. My face lights up as I see them, looking no worse for the ordeal they have been through and I can’t help but think about how far from the Shire they are. On seeing us, Merry’s face lights up and he scrambles to his feet, balancing precariously on the wall and nearly toppling off.

“Welcome, my lords and favourite lady, to Isengard”

“Long time no see” I say, grinning.

“You young rascals! A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and… and smoking!” Gimli says, half grumbling half laughing and juggling around enthusiastically on the horse he is seated upon.

“We are sitting on a field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good” Pippin explains with a cheeky look on his face.

“Salted pork?” Gimli asks, looking longingly at the hobbit’s feast.

“Why didn’t we get to do that when we were sitting on a field of victory?” I ask of no one in particular, feeling rather hard done by.

“You may join ours if you like” Merry offers.

“I would love that” I say. Legolas guide’s our horse over to the wall and I clamber up to sit between the hobbits, accepting a plate of food from Merry.

“We’re under orders from Treebeard, who’s taken over management of Isengard” Merry says as I begin to munch.

“So, what’s new?” Pippin asks me as I eat.

“Oh, you know, the usual. Fought a few battles, had a few new experiences” I say “Such as entering into a relationship with a certain elf”

“D’you mean Legolas?” Merry asks, staring down at Legolas who is talking to Aragorn.

“The very same”

“I think you two are sweet together” Pippin says and Merry gives an approving nod.

I blush, unused to this kind of attention, so I look out across the muddied waters surrounding the tower of Orthanc and see a lot of what look like trees wandering about. “Are they Ents?” I ask.

“Yep. Slowest creatures you’ll ever meet” Pippin says.

“Come, I wish to speak to Treebeard” Gandalf says and I look to my food with dismay.

“But I only just got up here”

“And now you’ll have to get down” father says. I huff and put my plate to one side, hopping down off the wall and landing in the water with a splash which sprays directly onto Aragorn who looks at me disapprovingly but I just stick my tongue out and help Merry and Pippin down, directing Pippin to sit with Aragorn and Merry with Éomer before climbing back on my own horse.

We ride through the water, avoiding the flotsam and jetsam, and are met at the base of the tower by an Ent. Judging by the large growth of moss on what I judge to be his chin, it must be Treebeard.

“Ah, young master Gandalf. I’m glad you have come” he says, although it takes him an age to say it. He must be old to refer to Gandalf as ‘young’. I have thought of Gandalf as many things but never young. “Wood and Water, stock and stone I can master. But there is a wizard to deal with hear, locked up in his tower” Treebeard continues.