Chapter 9-Typically Imperfect

*Authors Note* IʻVE FINALLY CHOSEN THE PEOPLE TO REPRESENT MY CHARACTERS! :D mission accomplished. I'm sorry I left it at a cliffhanger and haven't uploaded in a while. -___- My school still hasn't let us out for summer and I think I'm having withdrawals.

Anywho! Here is a recap...

And a photo of Kate (:

________________________________________________

“Kate, if I wasn’t your best friend I’d be plotting against you right now. Xander is hot and he’s sweet from what I hear! You better catch him quick or else I might have a go at him.”

“Get in line. My Nana already called dibs on him.”

Lia laughed at this, “That sounds like her.”

I yawned, “Alright enough of this girly crap. I’m going to go to bed. I’ll talk to you later.”

“You suck, you got me all worked up and you know how long it takes for me to get back to sleep.”

I could imagine her pouting at her phone, “Stop trying to make me feel bad. I’m gonna go. Night!”

“Fine, goodnight!”

I hung up and got ready for bed. Just as I was falling asleep my phone rang. I groaned. I looked at the caller I.D. but it said unknown. I usually don’t answer calls like this but my gut told me to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Pumpkin, it’s me.

I gasped and dropped my phone. No…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I felt my heart beat through my chest and I started to get cold sweats. My hands were shaking and my knees were becoming weak. No, this couldn't happen. He wasn't supposed to be out of jail for another six months. My breaths came in short spurts and my head was spinning. Never in a million years had I thought my dad would be calling me from jail.

My hands shook as I tried to pick up my phone, it took a few tries but I finally calmed myself enough to talk to my dad. If he was still on the phone that is.

"...Hello?" My voice shook with emotions.

"Pumpkin? Are you okay?" His tone was laced with worry and confusion.

Suppressed anger that I had kept inside me for years came out. He had no right to be calling me that! Not after what he did to my mom and brother, and ME. The day he went to jail is the day my life fell apart and I was left to pick up the pieces and become the strong one in the family. I couldn't rely on my mom to hold me and tell me it was okay, I had to be that for my brother when I didn't understand what was happening at such a young age. All the memories of my dad before my life became a mess came back to me. Long days spent at the beach, playing in the sand and him teaching me how to surf patiently. The times when it would just me my dad and I at the park learning how to balance on the monkey bars, and eating ice cream while my mom was at work.

I pushed all this aside and focused on the phone call.

"Don't you EVER call me that! You have no right!" I yelled, my heart squeezing at the thought.

"Kate, I just...I just wanted to tell you the good news."

"What could possibly be good news from you?"

"I got let out early for good behavior Kate. I can come home."

I almost dropped the phone again. No...I'm not ready for that.