Chapter 4 (The Morning After)

Oh shit. I wake up feeling a throbbing pain in the side of my head. I'm definitely going to need some Tylenol. My efforts to slide out of bed are cut short when I feel an arm locked around my waist. Rolling over, I notice that Stacey hasn't woken up yet. I can't help but study her as she sleeps.

Stacey's honey blonde hair is longer than it was the last time I saw her. Her tan seems deeper set. Even the shape of her face seems different...it's more defined. I find myself tracing the side of her jaw with my fingertips for some time before I notice that she's awake. Looking up, I'm greeted by her blue, green eyes looking right back at me.

"Well good morning. Tell me, did you get any sleep or were you up all night studying my face?"

"I-I was just...it isn't what it looks like" Feeling my cheeks get hot from embarrassment, I bury my face in an attempt to hide.

Stacey chuckles. "Relax Ali...I was only joking."

I lift my head to see her yawn while stretching. She sits up on the side of the bed before asking over her shoulder "So, pancakes or waffles?"

Gasping, I hurl the nearest pillow at her. "HAVE YOU ALREADY FORGOTTEN WHAT MY FAVORITE FOOD EVER IS?!?!"

"Maybe I was hoping for a surprise. You're very predictable Ali" she smiles "But pancakes it is" I watch her walk out of the bedroom and into the hall.

Predictable. PREDICTABLE?! Since when have I been predictable? Maybe she has just been gone too long to remember. Well if spontaneous is what she wants, dammit, spontaneous is what she'll get.

Taking my time to use the restroom and brush my teeth first, I slowly tiptoe my way down the hallway, stopping at the edge of the kitchen. There she is, standing at the counter with her back to me. I zero in on the bag of flour sitting next to her.

Getting down on my hands and knees, I start to crawl towards her as quietly as possible.

"Now Ali, please tell me you aren't trying to sneak up on me"

Looking up, I see that she still has her back turned to me. How on Earth? No. That isn't possible. I was so quiet!

"Get your ass off the floor. You can't sneak up on me babe"

I quickly get up off the floor and dust myself off, "I wasn't trying to sneak up on you." Walking to her side, I grab a small handful of flour and put it behind my back.

Stacey finally looks over at me, but quickly notices my hand behind my back. "What do you have there?"

"Nothin"

"Oh really now?" She inches closer to me. "Let me see then"

I slowly back up the more she advances.
"Nope", I say popping the p at the end.

Eventually I feel my back press up against a wall and see a smirk come to Stacey's face. "Well, it looks like you have no choice but to show me now"

"Okay, but you asked for it"

Pulling my hand from behind my back, I see the reality of what is about to happen sink into Stacey's eyes. She tries to turn and run, but not before I open my hand and blow the flour across her face and hair.

Neither of us moves or says anything for a good 10 seconds before a slow smile starts to spread across her face. "You're gonna regret that"

I turn to run, but feel her arms wrap around my waist pulling me to the center of the kitchen. "Payback's a bitch"

Author's Note:  

Alright, so I know I don't update as often as I should, but I find myself getting busier and busier lately. I sometimes find it hard to fathom anyone reading my story. It just seems unreal. By no means am I a writer, but creating these characters has certainly been fun for me. I promise not to write too many of these author's notes. I'll try to keep strictly to the story :) P.S. I also apologize for this chapter being rather short. The next ones will be much longer. Stay Lovely <3