Chapter 10: Bookkeepers

“Mrs. Hurtz,” I shot to my feet, Samuel sliding off my lap to stand wobbling on a lower step, “That’s Mrs. Hurtz’s little girl.” I turned to look at Jes, “What was her name?”

Jes placed a hand on my shoulder to force me back down on the step, “Lynna,” he told me, “Lynna Hurtz… why would she be involved in this?”

I shrugged his hand off and then looked at Sam, “what does she know?”

Sam sat himself back down on my lap and muttered an uncertain, “I dunno.” It was as if he was turning his connection with the fantasy on and off like a psychopath entertained by a light switch. If only we could get his young mind to focus.

But how focused could a young mind be? Was Sam capable of holding a solid connection with his other half?

“Come on Jes, we’re going to find Lynna,” I said, standing back up and making a solid jump over the iron gate. I glanced back to make sure he was following, but he wasn’t.

“Do you even know where she is?” He asked me

I nodded; “At home recovering from a traumatic event.”

“But you don’t know where the Hurtz’s live, Avery,” he crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me like he was challenging my already questionable IQ.

“Nope, but Bryce does,” I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and then turned to walk across the dark asphalt, my back to him. I listened to the gritting sound of his Nikes land on sidewalk and then his steps as he caught up with me.

“How does Bryce know where Mrs. Hurtz lives?” He asked.

“Bryce knows where everyone lives,” I muttered and then turned to look back at Samuel, “Come on,” my hand gestured for him and he climbed over the gate to the sidewalk. By the time his short little legs had carried him across the road, Jes was already sitting coolly in the driver’s seat.

“I’m getting in the back,” I told him; there would be plenty of sunlight in the bed of the truck.

“That’s illegal though,” he scowled at me, the freckles on his face bunching up.

I just grinned back at him, “Yeah, but wouldn’t you rather get a fine than let me die.”

“You’re paying for it then,” he muttered.

The conversation stopped there as I unlocked my phone to send Bryce a text, and it wasn’t long before I received a subtle ding back. “There,” I handed my phone to him through the open window, “Be responsible.”

“Sure,” He said, studying the address in the message.

Behind me I listened to the back seat door close with a sound click. Glancing in at Sam, I took in the cheeky smile that beamed up at me. All I could do was smile back as best I could; he seemed so innocent, too innocent to be caught up in all of this insanity.

Turning to the back of the truck, I jumped to hoist myself up, all but falling down inside the hard bed. As I straightened, I heard Jes call back a short, “We’re going,” before starting up the truck, the monster humming contently. Then I let my hands brace against warm metal as I was carried through the streets Astoria.

From here it was like I was looking out one giant, open window, almost too much for my eyes to handle. I slouched down to the side of the truck bed so that Jes could potentially see out the back window if he needed. He would hardly remember I was back here; in fact, I think he had already forgotten. I cursed him under my breath as he took a sharp turn and my body veered with the momentum.