Chapter 2: Twins

• Dedicated to Joah!

It had all started when I was twelve and my older brother began babysitting Samuel for Mrs. Harper. Samuel was only four then, and I had only met him once before I knew who he really was. I didn't know how it had occurred to me, but all I know was that as soon as my eyes met his, I understood my role.

Guardian.

So when Oliver had moved on and left the job open for grabs, I almost involuntarily stepped in and was quickly accepted my Mrs. Harper. Now here I was, two years of babysitting Samuel after school during the weeks she worked late. And I couldn't have asked for a better kid to watch.

I sat down beside him on the couch, watching Samuel flip aimlessly through the channels. Light flashed with each silent click of the remote until he found what he was looking for; cartoons. I reached down to unlace my black, knee-high boots, my pride and joy since last year. Slipping my feet out, I placed my boots by the side of the couch base and pulled my feet up next to me on the cushion.

I sat there for a while, zoning out at the flashing animations of Sponge Bob walking around on the flat-screened TV, until I heard the tone on my phone go off from my right back pocket. I looked at Sam, content with his show, and then pulled my phone out of my pocket.

Lee Amerson: Hey

I grinned, reading the little notification bubble. Unlocking my phone I went to reply, since Sam didn't seem to want anything to do with me right now.

The little bubble popped up as I sent my message

Hey what up??? :)

Setting my phone on the arm of the couch I looked back up to the TV screen. But in the few moments I had been sending the text, Samuel had turned off the TV and had disappeared.

I frowned, "Sam?" I called, being too lazy to get up.

"Yeah?!" the young voice came from down the hall.

"What are you up to?"

"Pencils," he yelled back.

"For what?"

He didn't answer me, but in a few moments I heard his quiet footsteps come back my way on the wooden kitchen floor. Those steps became silent as he walked onto the carpet by the couch and sat down beside the coffee table, the coffee table that stood between the couch and the television.

He set down a piece of paper and a pile of pencils, way more than he needed, but he didn't seem to care. Picking up a pencil he studied it and then started to draw.

I grinned at him and then looked back at my phone, hearing the tone again.

Lee Amerson: nm. board out of my mind. u?

I tapped in my next message:

Babysitting sam:) his mom is working late all week

Lee Amerson: again? she did that last week to. hav you tlked to Bella recently?

Avery Prinston: yup again:) she has alot going on this month. yea why? on bad terms again?

Lee Amerson: a bit. has she told u anythg?

Avery Prinston: She said you piss her off

Lee Amerson: what????????? but whyyyyy :(

Avery Prinston: look, you need to talk to her yourself alright? if you want this to work you hav got to try:) goodluck:)

Lee Amerson:  that's all i get?