Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Beep beep beep! The clock blared.  6:30.

“Crap! The reaping!” I sprinted downstairs where my mom, Blake, and Amya were all sitting around the TV.  I went and sat down next to them.  I watched as Clara, the pretty blond girl who had announced the reaping ever since it started five years ago, came onscreen.

“We are joined here today for a very special event.” Clara said.  “As you should know, five years ago Cuba was invaded by the Greek mythological monsters.  In order to keep them from moving off of Cuba, every year they require ten kids from the age of twelve to eighteen as an offering.  To keep it fair we pick ten kids from a chosen state every year. 

Clara reached into a box that was in front of her.  “This year is…… Massachusetts!”  The TV screen went black.

Amya and my mom let out a little whimper and my stomach started hurting.  Blake was hugging Amya telling her it would be fine while she was crying on his shoulders. 

“But how?” I said to myself, “it was a one in fifty chance of being chosen.”

“You should go get ready.” Blake told me.

“Yeah…” I said still in shock.  I walked upstairs and Blake walked up behind me holding Amya.  Ever since our dad had left us Blake had almost been like a dad to us.  I went to my closet then to my bathroom then went downstairs again to eat.  I sat down at our small table and my mom put a plate of eggs and bacon in front of me.  I ate in silence.  It was already 7:30 but we didn’t have our first class today and didn’t have to be there till 8:15.  Blake and Amya finally came down and sat down while my mom set food in front of them also.  When we had finished eating we all go into Blake’s car and drove to school.  When we got there I found Sophia and ran to her, hugged her, and started crying.

“Hey it’s okay it’ll be fine.”

“But what if Amya or Blake or you are chosen? I don’t think I can do that.”

“Adeline, there are over three million people in Massachusetts.”

“I know but that doesn’t make it any less hard.”

“I know but you just can’t let that bother you.”

“Okay,” we went inside.

First we had to go to the cafeteria and write our names out on a sheet of paper.  We stood in line and waited to get up front.

When we got up a lady asked us our names then told us to write our names on a slip of paper and put it in the girl’s box.  I neatly wrote Adeline Williams and placed it in the box.  By the time we were done it was time for biology.  We went through our day.

“Bye see you tomorrow?”  I asked because we didn’t have school tomorrow.

“Of course!  I’ll try to come over.” Sophia said

“Okay bye!”  I walked to the car and got in and Blake drove home.  The car was quite, even quieter than usual.  We walked into the house and I went upstairs to put on pajamas.  I was done for today and just wanted to go to bed but I went downstairs.  My mom had made tacos and we all sat down and ate.  After we were done I went to bed.  I just wanted to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry its so short!!! I hope you liked it still! Comment and vote please!!!