Chapter 5

I ran into the kitchen at an award-winning speed and noticed my brother sitting on the breakfast table munching away while my mother was busy at the stove tossing dosas onto a plate. Rohit had completed twelfth grade and his college was starting in a few days, so he was practically jobless these days.

"Trisha, you have only ten minutes left for your school to start. Hurry up! First day and you will be late," my mother said in the motherly way we are all so well aware of, as she placed a plate in front of me and put two dosas on it.

"College, mom! College," I exclaimed through the food in my mouth.

I know that, mom and that's why I am practically gulping down my breakfast without even chewing it, I wanted to add in, but of course I didn't.

My alarm had gone off an hour ago and I had slept through it. No surprise factor there. But it was the first day at college and I didn't want to be late and looking at the clock in the kitchen, I was sure that I would definitely be running in late.

"You ready to ride in my 'grease lightning'?" Rohit asked me, his mouth full of food.

"Your what?"

"My 'grease lightning'. You have seen grease, right?!"

"Yes, I have. But how does your second-hand car count to that?"

He groaned at me while I sneered at him. But suddenly my face went pale.

"I am not the first person you are giving a ride to, right?" I asked in a tiny voice.

"Yes, little sister. You are the first," he said, grinning from ear to ear as if it was the best thing in the world.

I wasn't feeling anywhere happy about it.

"Then I am so going to die! I don't want to die, I have so many things left to do and to see! I am taking a rick!" I said jokingly, increasing the speed of my eating.

"What do you mean?!"

"That will be so much safer, Trisha," my mother said, sitting down beside us.

My brother pushed his plate away and stood up, his eyes full of rage.

"Okay, take an auto!" he shouted at me, heading to the door.

"No, wait! I already told my friends that you would be dropping me today. They must have already left, and I won't find any empty rickshaw at this time of the day!"

"Do I look like I care?" he said, grabbing the keys of his car (which was his advance birthday gift).

"Where are you going, Rohit?" my mother asked with concern.

"Call me back home when you are ready to trust me with the fact that I won't kill your daughter by driving her to her college!" he shouted back before shutting the door close.

My mother massaged her temples before smiling up at me. I guess she was used to her teenage kids' angry outbursts. The angry hormones always took us over.

"Wait, Rohit!" I said, pushing my plate aside and jumping up from the chair. I grabbed my bag and rushed to the door.

"Great! Why do I even bother making breakfast?" my mom groaned.

"Bye mom! Sorry mom!" I screamed before shutting the door close and running down the building stairs.

***

Halfway down the stairs, I heard an engine start. I should have taken the stupid lift, I thought as I continued running down the stairs, doubling my speed.

When I reached down finally, I watched my brother drive right past me, ignoring the crazy, jumping girl waving frantically at him to pull over. Yes, that would be me. I watched him drive down the road without glancing behind once. I sighed and looked up and down the street, crossing my fingers for an empty rick. But as suspected there was just me and the road for a long while.