5

“Excuse me ma’am would you consider maybe joining me in a dance?“ my eyes found a blue pair of eyes, which belonged to a black haired guy with a confident smile. He seemed charming to say the least; clearly a rich kid son too. Probably to be considered a perfect match for me by my father, but still I shook my head with a polite smile, “sorry I don’t dance.”

The confident spark seemed a little defeated by my radical respond, but it didn’t take long till he turned his head and smiled at Cynthia; “neither do you?”

Well, that was smooth.

Cynthia obviously didn’t seem to care about him having asked me first, as she nearly jumped up her seat with the words, “Yes I dance! Definitely!”

The guy seemed a little overwhelmed, but nothing that his confidence couldn’t handle; “well can I have the honor then Ms - ?”

“You can call me Cynthia,” she put forth her hand, which he grabbed lightly and shook.

“Cynthia - I am Richard Woodruff ma’am. It’s a real pleasure,” I narrowed my eyes at him. Woodruff. I had definitely heard that somewhere before. But where?

Cynthia didn’t seem to recognize anything unusual as she fluttered her eyelashes at him and curtsied a little too much, while keeping the gaze lock. I tried hard not to start giggling.

“Cynthia what’s the name of your non-dancing friend here?” Richard Woodruff gestured to me with a smile that made Cynthia forget about him not taking interest in only her.

“That boring doll is my step sister Frances Hamilton - but you don’t have to bother with her. She’s always so boring. Likes to read and such - she would much rather just watch,” Cynthia spoke loudly, as she clenched onto Richard’s arm. His eyes moved from having rested on her lips to watch my face briefly.

“It was nice meeting you Frances - now if you do however feel the sudden and most urging need to dance like your stepsister here - I got a friend over at my table,” he nodded to a table in the front, “who would probably be glad to assist you with that.”

There was something about Richard Woodruff I couldn’t quite put my finger on. But I didn’t like it. He seemed a little too - confident. A little too smart and bold. My eyes found the table at which a blonde guy was sitting twirling the substance of his glass with crossed legs. Just like Richard Woodruff he had his hair styled in that side parting and was wearing one of the best suits of the room. Something told me Richard Woodruff was maybe not as usual a guest as I had first expected.

“Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind,” I smiled politely again and folded my hands stubbornly, as Cynthia rolled her eyes and lightly started pulling in Richard Woodruff.

“Let’s dance!” She stated piercingly making Richard Woodruff break into a wide charming smile, as he turned and followed her; taking her arm in under his.

Oh, how he was going to regret that; but something told me he could somehow handle. He was definitely brought up right. Probably in some wealthy home and knew how to handle girls - even ones like Cynthia. And to be honest it would probably look better to walk off with a girl than returning to his own seat after having just approached a table with not only one - but two perfect candidates for dancing.

I watched them for a short while; all of them - Judy, Dad, Cynthia and Richard, and I could just occasionally make out the sight of Patricia who was laughing wholeheartedly.

“Is there anything I can bring you ma’am?” For the second time I hadn’t noticed another person approaching, but I recognized the voice as Liam Payne’s in his white servant suit and looking surprisingly fit though he had been serving the entire night and probably working the entire day too.