4

A woman - maybe 5 years older than me - emerged on the stage with one of the silver microphones with a black line connected, which I had often seen on the television program which the twins watched occasionally. The same brassy sound as the one that would be heard from the television echoed through the room making the chatter and laughter slowly die out. As the room had fallen appropriately quiet the girl smiled and lifted the microphone to her lips.

“Simply, I would like to say a very warm welcome to The Kellerman’s Resort! My name is Rose Kellerman - daughter of Kelly Kellerman the owner of this resort, as some of you may know, and I’ve gotten the uttermost prestigious responsibility of welcoming you all at the start of our summer season! As you may have already read in the brochures sent to your households before your arrival, The Kellerman’s is proud to present a wide ranging entertaining program for little as big, boy as girl, young as - mature,” the girl with her light brown hair smiled extra warmly over the crowd, where several chuckles were heard. I was surprised, that it was such a young woman ‘welcoming’ the enormous crowd of guests - and I had definitely heard the lowered mumbles from the elderly couple as Rose Kellerman had emerged on the stage in her elegant host dress; 'too young' they had sounded.

But she had a charming voice and the smile, which constantly rested on her lips was enough to keep the crowd satisfied and relaxed, while easily amused.

“You will be able to get details and learn more about what we have to offer you this summer; maybe you want to explore why the new thing called 'yoga' is so hip at the moment by attending a course yourself? Maybe you want to practice your serve at our splendid tennis courts, or maybe even just relax with a new borrowed book to be found from our humble library and to be enjoyed at our sunny lake shore. As the Kellerman’s do very much indeed enjoy friendly competitions and games; there will furthermore be numerous of smaller contests within several of our offers, which can be attended in the pursuit of new acquaintances or simply for the element of fun.

Old friends as new friends, most honored guests of Kellerman’s - I welcome you and proudly announce the official opening of the Kellerman’s Summer Resort season of 63’.”

Cheering from the crowd and a long lasting round of applause was heard through the room. I couldn’t help smiling, as Rose Kellerman beamed out over the crowd and curtsied. She had confident. It shone from her like the spot light she stood in.

I looked around the room briefly. My eyes quickly discovered how probably every member of the staff was lined up against the wall and in the back of the room - listening to Rose Kellerman’s announcement too. With polite smiles and light clapping along; though their faces didn't seem quite as amused as the guests. I saw Liam Payne who stood with the several other servants in their noticeable white uniforms, his smile just as pleasant as it had been moments ago as he clapped along with everyone else. My eyes travelled further to the back of the room; and I noticed how the presence of the staff changed. From tall standing, well dressed young men - and women - standing nearest the seated guests - the further away in the line of staff the more … scruffier their looks grew.

The guys in the very back certainly hadn’t the side parting of perfectly styled hair as most of the ‘university’-servants. Neither did they have the same strict posture and well mannered attitude. Their clothes were darker too. The hair of the girls was wilder and their make up even noticeable. They clapped along without the excitement as the rest of us, while they whispered to each other with soft smirks. I noticed Louis standing with that crowd. Whispering with a crooked smile plastered on his lips to a girl next to him; he radiated trouble, though he tried keeping it down. His hair in the same messy, greasy manner as it had been hours earlier. 

You could almost feel the bubbling summer excitement from the vacation ready crowd, as Rose lifted the silver microphone to her lips again and my attention returned to her; “I hope you will enjoy your first evening and the rest of your stay, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome.”

At the mentioning of the very last word, the band started playing a more upbeat dancing tune, which invited to the standard and accepted ballroom dancing. Several started to get up from their chairs - younger guys especially with their polite smiles and grey suits went to tables to invite the daughters of other families for the first dance. Parents and elderly couples joined them too; with a strict eye on the young ones. I was seated sidways on the chair with my head resting in my hand, while leaning it against the back of my chair. Overlooking the scenery of the dance floor as the stage grew more and more crowded. The band playing on the stage while laughter and beautiful music tunes blended together; I couldn't stop beaming widely. 

The staff-line had dissolved though several of the white dressed servants made their way in between the tables clearing off from the dessert. Menu cards with drinks were handed out and colorful tropical drinks were slowly circulating from the bar and out onto the round tables, while everyone spoke of their plans for the upcoming vacation weeks. The room was buzzing with chattering and music.

I watched with chuckles as Patricia followed a nerdy looking rich kid son, who had asked her to dance, while Cynthia was left abandoned behind with me.

“Judy - can I invite you to a dance?” My father asked with a calm voice, which reminded me of the father- daughter moment we had just shared. Somewhat emotional, it hit me, that he actually really did love Judy. A woman I couldn’t stand. Strange how you could have such vivid views on the same person.  Judy put her hand over her heart in a flattered manner and rolled her eyes - oh so very fake. The countless memories of her piercing voice echoing through the house yelling at me to come clean up after her - or the twins - made me feel sick to my stomach just watching her act like that.  My Dad rose from his chair and smiled at Judy with a offering hand raised out towards her. I felt like throwing up at the sight of Judy’s long slender hands with the blood red nails and the overuse of golden charms, which took his hand.

I couldn’t smile as I with my eyes followed them up to the dance floor and saw how my Dad gave her a twirl and with the broad smile brought them both into dancing position. Oh she really had her claws deep into him. If only he knew how she was actually using unfairly amounts of his money on such awfully nonsens - I had tried telling him. God knew I had, but that had ended with him taking Judy’s side. If only he knew how she really was when he wasn’t watching. Too absorbed with staring sourly at them I didn’t notice anyone approaching our table with their eyes focused on me.

please vote & comment