22 | Forgetting Ultimatums

JASMINE FOLLOWED Maya Khan into the mansion. Shayan trailed behind, sandwiched between his two teasing sisters with a scowl twisting his lips.

"Shayan, there's no need to turn red," Shraddha, his twenty-year-old sister, crooned. "Everyone has a crush at some point."

"And don't worry, she has to like you back. Her name is Jasmine and you look like Aladdin. It's meant to be," Sadia explained as if it was obvious.

Jasmine wanted to laugh at Sadia's giggles but was preoccupied with the parallel she described. The relationship between her and Shayan couldn't be meant to be and even if it was, they weren't really from two different worlds. She shook her head to herself for letting a child's baseless observation make its way into her psyche. Shayan would never be her prince and her life would never be a fairytale.

That was her reality. She had to accept it.

"How could it be more obvious?" Shraddha said, wiggling her eyebrows at him. "I mean, you're quite the charismatic prince."

"Shut up," he muttered under his breath.

Sadia took in a deep breath, about to tease him some more, when Shayan picked her up by the legs with an overdramatic, evil laugh. He held her upside down, trying to stop the smile from reaching his lips when his little sister broke into a fit of giggles.

"You were wrong, Sadia. I'm not Aladdin, but Jafar, the worst villain of them all."

"Stop it, Shayan!" she screamed, punching his chest as her cheeks turned red with anger.

Maya turned on her heel and raised her eyebrow at the three. "Girls, stop tormenting your brother." When Shraddha opened her mouth to protest, Maya continued with a raised hand. "And Shayan. Stop tickling my baby."

"As you wish." He grinned and dropped Sadia onto the carpet, making sure her head was protected and that she'd fall inches from the ground.

"Shayan!" Maya exclaimed.

Sadia glared and flashed him an impish smirk, one that their mother couldn't see. She let out a cry of despair, crocodile tears streaming down her cheeks.

Maya placed her hands on her hips. "Apologize to your sister and put your phone on my desk. You're cut off from the rest of the world for one week. Hope you survive."

Shayan's jaw dropped and Jasmine placed her palm against her lips to stifle her laughter. Shraddha nodded towards the kitchen, pulling a grinning Sadia to her feet. He took the hint and walked after them with a sulky look on his face.

Maya turned back to Jasmine. "Honey, I think we may have to talk," she whispered, her voice chilly enough to send an avalanche through San Diego. Shayan's mother took a right turn into the guest bedroom, beckoning Jasmine to sit on the couch in the corner. She leaned against the door, analyzing her every move.

"What's wrong?" Jasmine asked, her spine straightening as she felt Maya's eyes on her.

"You know me, Jas. I don't beat around the bush. I've seen you and my son together when you were kids and I've seen you together now. I've seen the love you have for each other, but I know you're going to hurt him," Maya said.

When Jasmine only stared at her, she continued.

"I know your parents, Jasmine. I know about their horrendous rules and I know you love them too much to stand up for what you want," she sighed. "What you're doing to Shayan is wrong. There have been so many times when I've seen him heartbroken over you, but he still hopes that your feelings will change. You're hurting him, Jasmine."